Knitting Surfaces

I have created a model that is enclosed and is all surfaces. It is a motorcycle gas tank actually. I have used the 'Knit' command to stitch together all the surfaces. I clicked on the 'Try to create a Solid Model' checkbox and the Knit command does not give me errors/warnings when I submit it. So my assumption is that my model is now a solid one.

What I am ultimately trying to do is to create section views in a drawing from the model. The problem I am encountering is that when I create a section line in the drawing, SW complains saying that the model view is empty.

I thought that my successful Knit command would have created a solid model. I also tried to use the Thicken command to thicken the inside surface of the model, but that fails with SW saying that it is unable to thicken the surfaces.

I am using SW 2006.

Any help/insight would be much appreciated.

Thx. /Derrol

Reply to
derrols

Well try using thicken command and give some thinkness to your model inside which will convert it into a solid.

Regards

Deepak Gupta

Reply to
Engineer

derrol

at the bottom of the knit command box there is a tick box marked "try to form solid" tick this and then shell the tank.

steve

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
solid steve

. I

Bad assumption - it should give you an error, but it won't. To see if it is a solid model, look at the top of the feature tree - there should be a folder called 'solid bodies', and your solid body will be located in there. No solid bodies folder, no solid body in the model.

There is probably a small gap in your knit surface. It could be anywhere - the easiest way to find it is to go to tools>check, and hit the 'check' button. After checking the model, you will (likely) see at least one 'open surface' in the results list. Highlight that item in the results list and look at your model in the work window. Any open surface edge will be highlighted in green - even the little bity spot that is probably hosing your solid. Then you jsut have to fix it so you have a single enclosed volume, and you will be able to make your solid

Good luck, Ed

Reply to
Edward T Eaton