Surfaces

Help needed here! Is it possible to convert an existing solid part to one made up of only surfaces without starting from scratch. I have 2004 but am still using 2003SP3 till I pluck up courage Thanks ... Roger

Reply to
Roger

"Roger" wrote in news:bvc14h$87s$1 @hercules.btinternet.com:

I don't know of a command to do this, but if you pick a face and on the surfacing toolbar select delete face, and then change the radio button from "delete and patch" to "delete", the result will be a model made up of surfaces. You can then create a patch surface to replace the one you deleted, knit it to the rest of the part, and you will have a surface model that would "hold water". If you picked this surface and selected the thicken command, you could turn in back into a solid.

My .02. Maybe there's an easier way though.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

Roger,

There are a couple of ways in SW2003 and SW2004.

1 - Offset Surface "0",.. window select the solid body or select surface needed individually. 2 - Delete a face on your solid body, will turn it into a surface body,.. patch the hole or pre-copy/offset the face you deleted and knit it back. 3 - And, you can do something similar for a new part using insert part or incontext part?

You make a reminding point though, why can't the user just mark the solid body as a surface at anytime?

..

Roger wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Roger,

A very simple method is to insert the model you want to convert into an assembly with the model as the only component. Now save the assembly as a part (Save as .sldprt) and select the "exterior faces" check box and give it a name different from the original part model. The resulting part will be made up of surfaces. This works with both 2003 and 2004.

Dave H

Roger wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

Paul Salvador wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net: ...

Out of curiosity, when would you want to do that? It sounds like a reasonable request, but I don't think I've had the need to do it.

matt

Reply to
matt

Thanks Guys I'll work thru' your suggestions and see what can be done .. great news group youm have here. Roger

Reply to
Roger

Matt,

I'm sure if I had the option I would use it and it would be for working with surface bodies only (trim or trim mutual). I generally don't work with solid bodies. For my workflow, a solid body is something which is needed because the SW clients want that or because I can only utilize certain solid features with a solid body (ribs). Solids are not something I try to maintain through out a design and if I can quickly switch between the two to better access the features, all the better.

The difference between solids and surfaces are limited by the result of the current situation. Eventually, I would think and hope, that the two will cohabitate as equals.

..

matt wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador