Learning Surfaces

I noticed that there are only two examples of Surface Geometry in the Solidworks help files. "Surfaces", and "3-D Sketching with planes". Is there somewhere I can go for the real basic principles? Maybe explaining the many individual features that make up the whole of Surfaces. The Community College that I attend doesn't offer Solidworks Level II, at all. Level II involves Surfaces, Photoworks, Animation, Cosmoworks, Routing, etc. I did see some real nice Powerpoint tutorials on the net from Di Monti web site, and also from a site by Lombard, but I believe they must be designed for someone that posesses basic knowledge, at the very least, and knowing nothing at all about surfaces, I was totally lost going through them. The people that made the tutorials were obviously brilliant people, but taught way beyond the level that I am at, at this point at least. I am hoping to find an instructor with the ability to explain the mechanics of Surface Geometry at a level that a complete novice will absorb. I am thinking that there must be some real basic info somewhere, like there is explaining the fundamentals of Solid Geometry. I do have two books by David Murray, but for some reason Surfaces is not covered at all. Can I be placing too much attention on the value of knowing Surface Geometry? Is there something that I am not knowing here? Why is there not the same amount of literature available for both phases of Solidworks I wonder? Or maybe I am simply deficient in my ability to locate it? Carl

Reply to
carlenck

Hi Carl

When you find that book let us know!

Matt Lombard has recently written a book that will probably be quite useful.

Other useful resources -
- several tutorials for SolidWorks and other CAD software.

Useful models to study

Paul Salvador's site, great models and art.

Dr. J.D. Mather's site - surfacing tutorials.

Online video training (at a price)

Downloadable training videos (at a price)

A dedicated book on applying Surfacing techniques to product design would no doubt be very popular - shame it has not be written, yet.

John Layne

John Layne

"Edward T Eaton" wrote

I don't use surface modelling so I'm no expert, but in I-DEAS there is a function to set the "material side" of a surface, so that it does know how to respond to further modelling features. Maybe if that's not in SWX then it could be an enhancement request.

John H

Reply to
John H

Noticed this yesterday - so I've not had a chance to go through all that came up - but on Youtube, if you search for Solidworks, alot of tutorials appear.

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Rather than starting with Curvy Stuff 101 on the DiMonte Group site, try the SWW 2005 presentation, "Surfacing for Blockheads". It is particularly aimed at people who don't normally think about using surfaces.

Jerry Steiger