OT(kinda)-OS upgrade

John, did XI have all the right drivers in a list for XP Pro?

After reading the latest exploit which Russian hackers use Internet Explorer to put Trojans onto people's computers to swipe info on SSL transaction passwords & financial data, it just confirmed again, that I really REALLY do not want to see my SolidWorks computer on the Internet.

The article is written for programmers, & the discussion about this can be found on today's

article titled "Trojan Analysis Leads To Russian Data Hoard".

I really wonder how the likes of SolidWorks will respond to these issues of users staying off the net, because of all sorts of safety issues and slowdowns.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Well, I finally had a day to get my workstation moved from running 2000-pro to XP-pro so that I could install SW2007. This machne is exactly 3 years old, and has been solid. This is the first time I have been disciplined enough to keep my working computer off of the internet except for special cases-and I highly recommend it. Got it from XI Computer in SoCal, and they were moderately helpful in helping me get the drivers I needed for this exercise. What I had not anticipated was needing drivers for items related to the motherboard itself. I know this makes me sound like a newbie, but this is one task I had never tackled before.

I was just talking to my Dad and he asked me how I had changed OS's before this . The answer is that my computer would usually die or get corrupted and I would just get a new one. With the current state of affairs with Vista and the strong-arm tactics of M$oft `encouraging' the computer makers to sell only Vista machines, now doesn't seem like a great time to get a new machine.

Anyway I see that my data is just about finished copying over from my external drive, so I can get to work. Just in case, I have SW2006 running alongside 2007 on my notebook with no difficulties. Onward into the future..........

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

No-that's why I said `moderately' helpful. I actually needed to open the box and tell the guy what model my motherboard was and then we went to the web site together and he showed me which drivers I needed. Seemed sort of crude to me, but at least he answered the phone (in English) and it just took a couple of calls to get things sorted out.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

John - beware the upgrade from sp0 to sp2.2 for sw2007. There is a known bug and this direct upgrade does not work - it creates an eternal loop asking for CDs it does not recognize.

Better to go sp0 - sp1.1 and then sp2.2 .

Others here might give better advice - I just know I spent a morning wondering what was wrong with my cd drive, when it was SW all along.

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Jonathan, the other option is to get the Swk 2007 SP2.2 DVD direct from your VAR, to get rid of the issue directly, since it is a known problem.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Is there a fatal issue with sp3.0?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

sure hope not-I went right to there. Been running sp2.1 on my notebook with no issues either.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger