Re: Surfaces

VFR,

Surfaces don't have to follow the same rules as solids. What this means is "sometimes" you get a cleaner smoother surface by lofting or sweepeng surfaces. There are fewer end conditions to resolve.

This is especially true with hydrodynamic or aerodynamic shapes where you'll have a foil shape that might transition to a series of hard edges (like the tail of a surfboard). I've designed several surfboards and a boat in SW, and it's not really possible to do using solid operations. It was however very easy using surfaces.

Using surfaces to design prismatic mechanical shapes though, is just plain ignorant.

Regards

Mark

I never really got the point of surface modeling. Our CNC programmer > does all his work with surfaces but thats a learned condition. Where > does surface modeling have it's advantages over solid modeling.
Reply to
Mark Mossberg

simple,

  1. when you cannot create the shape using solids.
  2. when solid modeling doesn't work. (think fillets, etc......)

ca

VFR wrote:

Reply to
clay

Surfaces are the original work of sweet fine looking angels and solids were later bastardized to help anal retentive controlling engineers.

Surfaces = Style, Freedom, Imagination, Beauty, Peace, Yin/Yang,.. Solids = Generic prismatic nuts and bolts limited imaginative stuff, shackles, cheap bad beer with a womane without teeth,..

Well, that's how I see the difference after designing in 3D for over 15 years.

.. ;^)

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I had better start designing with surfaces... quickly. ;->

Reply to
VFR

Ditto! Can't believe I missed that analogy!

Reply to
kenneth b