Re: Best strategy for modeling a hole saw

> make a tube, cut extrude a tooth profile from a plane suitably angled to it > and then make a circular pattern leaving a gap for the next tooth-make > another pattern for the contrary set > you could also do a sheetmetal approach with a slit tube flattened and cut > and then rolled up again >

Thanks Neil.

The problem with the first solution is that the projection of the (flat) sketch plane for the cut will be distorted since it is only tangent to the cylinder at one point (actually a line). Each point of the cut needs to be tangent to the cylinder (imagine a laser cutting the tooth profile as the cylinder spins on its axis).

The sheetmetal approach would solve that problem. I have never done sheetmetal modelling in Solidworks. Is it possible to add additional solid body features to the sheetmetal in its rolled up state and still keep it as a single part?

Reply to
John Williams

Here is another approach to consider...

Regards, Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

yes maybe Mikes approach will be what you want however if it isn't and seems you haven't done sheetmetal here's a clue or two

-make an almost complete circle with the centre point arc tool and dimension the gap to be something small like 0.1 mm

-extrude as a thin feature to form a slit tube

-click on insert bend tool and select one of the straight outside edges at the join and you should see the feature manager change to show sheetmetal features-(3 items)

-now click on the flatten icon and it should unroll

-do your cut operation on this repeat using the linear pattern tool or even the pattern along curve

-unflatten

-do any other operations you want on the rolled bit like fillets

hope I have that right and it helps ,have a good weekend Neil

Reply to
neil

Thanks Neil and Mike. Excellent suggestions!

Reply to
John Williams