looking for a sheetmetal transition duct

Once upon a time, on a website not so far away...

there was a sheetmetal duct transition square to round part. One with real bend lines the way real sheetmetal is made, none of this lofted bends stuff.

Now that area of the SW site is defunct, and the part hasn't been moved to the new 3DcontentCentral site.

Does anyone have this part or one like it? Just a square to round transition sheetmetal part made with bend lines. Probably takes a couple hours to draw all the bend lines correctly.

Anyone?

Thx,

matt

Reply to
matt

Hi Matt

I believe I have the file you are looking for. What address would you like me to email it to.

JS

Reply to
JS

"JS" wrote in news:1104381098.150309.177110 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Jack,

Thanks, some other kind soul already sent me the file. I might put this one up on my website. People tend to ask this question often enough. Do you have any idea who to credit for creating this part?

Thanks,

matt

Reply to
matt

Matt,

To create a 'real' sheetmetal square to round transition you need to do the following (note you are best to create it in 2 halves as this is the usual way to fabricate it - seam on opposite flat sections):

  1. On the square/rectangular sketch create fillets in the corners (about
5mm) - this now gives you 8 line end points (half square and half round if doing it in 2 halves).
  1. On the circular sketch, split it with a short (5mm) straight line at the
4 quadrants - this also gives you 8 line end points.
  1. Create 8 guide curves that connect each square sketch end point to its corresponding end point on the round sketch (lines should be in order - clockwise or anti-clockwise).
  2. Loft - it should now follow the guide curves an look like a 'real' transition. Note: I think with 2004 & later you may not need the guide curves for it to behave correctly.

HTH Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

Sorry, can't help you there. I just remember it was quite a while ago, and a useful example. Thanks to Anonymous.

Reply to
JS

Merry,

Cool, thanks. That sounds like the approach whoever built this part used. Somehow I had assumed that he had just done it up from the flat, drawing bendlines and changing bend angles. That would be a real b_tch. The best part of it is that you get bendlines on the flat pattern!

Thanks again,

matt

"Merry Owen" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eftel.com:

Reply to
matt

Is his login name in the properties of the features or was he one of those that logged in as administrator.

Corey

Reply to
CS

I checked that. It was Administrator. Good idea, though.

matt

"CS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Reply to
matt