Help needed. Is moving assembly cuts possible?

We have a new person in the office who made a small mistake doing a model and its drawing. I need some help correcting it without massive amounts of extra work.

We use 2000i, build 2003090. Our company standards require that a welded structure is a seperate process from the machining of the same structure. We therefore usually assemble all the plates into an assembly for just welding, and do a drawing based on that, showing just the welds. Because of our BOM break downs we use another part number for the machining process so we create a new blank assembly and assemble the just completed weldment into it as a sub-assembly. All machining cuts, drill, taps, etc are then added as assembly features in the new upper level main assembly. Each has it's own number that way and fits our design structure. That is what is normally done.

Instead, our nubie put all the machining cuts and such directly into the weld assembly. Some fifty odd cuts, and around two hundred drills (about

2/3's of them tapped). All are seperate features as they do not lend themselves well to patterning due to location, axis, and orientation. Because of the large amount of time required to redo do the machining in the proper assembly, we'd like to find a way to move them from the sub- assembly to the main assembly. Short of cheatin' on the drawings by blanking layers in the sub-assembly and not in the main assembly, is there a way to do this? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff Thomas

No snoozing to reply.

Reply to
Jeff Thomas

Two possible methods to try:-

Method 1 (best way)

Group all the assy features

Create a udf of the group, with single prompts.

Copy assy to welded assy, delete all the assy cuts from welded assy.

create a new top level assy

assemble welded assy

import the udf feature (hopefully there shouldnt be too many references to select if there are not a lot of plates)

If this works, delete the old assy.

Method 2 (horrible way):

If the top level drawing hasn't been done yet:-

Copy the assy to a welded assy, and remove all the cuts from that assy.

Export the machined assy to a Merged Solid Exported Shrinkwrap Model

Make a new assy, assemble both subassemblies.

Exclude the shrinkwrap assy from your bom table.

Create a dimensioned drawing.

Reply to
dakeb

"dakeb" wrote in news:c0fv47$22d$ snipped-for-privacy@rdel.co.uk:

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'll try them on Monday at work (this hadn't reached me by the time I left home Friday morning - bad server).

Again, THANKS!

Jeff

Reply to
Crookshanks_Prime