Integrated Graphics

I don't mean to seem overly stupid, but here goes anyway.

Obviously the better the graphics card you have, the better ProE runs - however, what I wish to know, is how badly it will run with an integrated Intel GMA950 chipset (and an Intel Core Duo chip). I don't expect it to perform well, but will it cause me severe hair loss?

I can't seem to find any relevant info on PTCs site.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Robert Curtis

Hi Robert

Basically Pro-E really runs OpenGL and this taxes the graphics processor. Many graphic processors cannot deal with this OpenGL at that level. You can set your graphics in the config.pro to Win32GDI, but your models will spin real slow. It is a hard fact on these graphics issues. I always spec any of the new machines to run either ATI FireGL or NVidia Quatro FX. Years ago the best to have was the Intergraph Wildcat, but I didn't have luck with the recent models.

Eric

Reply to
emills

Depends on what you plan to do, expect to be able to do with this computer: make money!?! total baldness within a month and possible hospitalization for an undiagnosed nervous disorder; learning/trying out/practicing pro/e on with the Student Edition on a passable computer!?! you'll not only survive but have your hair restored, it's a proven fact. But there are limitations:

1) get ready for increased crashing (CTDs) because of graphics issues; 2) weaker support for OpenGL (often the cause of crashes) 3) faults because of memory conflicts due to the shared memory 4) no complicated parts or hundreds of parts in assemblies 5) as few windows open in a session as possible, 3-4 windows, at most; response time for everything "slower" (like going from a 56K modem {very fast modem} to cable and then BACK to the modem: you know, SLOWER!!!!) 6) Oops, I just did it! Do NOT compare with your Dell dually 670 Zeon workstation at work (this alone would send you over the edge). Think of it, instead, as a very advanced toy and you're just going to have fun and play with it. Have no expectations, you'll suffer no disappointments! Not exactly the tecnophile's mantra, but you're not talking about the tecnophile's machine, either. And not losing your hair depends largely on lowering your expectations. The "bottom line" though is that it will probably run Pro/e. (The other bottom line is to get a 'money back' guarantee or load Pro/e on it and try it before you buy it.)

Anyway, Pro/e "runs" on a wide variety of machines and operating systems. I ran it on a system with integrated graphics (in the 90s) and am running it now (WF2) on a Toshiba Satellite 2805 with an nVidia Geforce 2 GO adapter (probably integrated) with 16M of graphics memory; limiting but not impossible and, again, the issue is adapting to the limitations, not wishing and working as if it were the dually. Anyway, there's such a vast array of hardware out there, why go with a GPU that isn't even well rated for games when you can get a Dell graphics workstation for under a grand? I mean, if the machine is free, hey, go for it! Otherwise, consider, investigate, shop and wait. Then, maybe, buy a used, Dell 650, corporate tradein for under a grand and get a very nice, 3 year old powerhouse.

Reply to
David Janes

At my first employer I administered Pro/E 2000i. Our primary users had Dell workstations. However, we expanded to install it on some basic Dell Optiplex PCs with integrated graphics chipsets. It worked generally quite well for smaller assemblies and basic drafting, but the performance did not compare to the workstations. Usually beginning users don't reach these limits.

Unfortunately like D.J. said, stability can leave a lot to be desired. Some pcs are fine, others will crash Pro/E multiple times in a day, even if you have the latest/greatest drivers. Graphics drivers in particular. If you get persistent crashes, you can set your graphics option to win32_gdi and continue working and not lose too much performance on a cheap computer like this.

In the end, you'll find that a $150-300 graphics card like an older nVidia Quadro will greatly increase performance and stability for very little money. Just because you need a workstation doesn't mean you need the bleeding edge.

Dave

Reply to
dgeesaman