3D positioning sensor & stereo rendering

Hello,
For my diploma project I was thinking of implementing opengl stereo rendering, with feedback from a 3D positioning sensor. So for example
if the opengl scene contains a car with its front pointing at you, if you "look" into the monitor from above, the opengl system should start displaying a bit of the roof of the car. I don't know if you understand what I mean, but this is what I wanted to do.
The main problem is the 3D positioning sensor. What it should do, is give the position of the head (ideally the position of both eyes) with respect to the monitor's display surface. Anyone knows of such a sensor? Because I don't know how to build one myself, and I think it's not a task I can accomplish.
Many thanks in advance, Cosmin

This is called fishtank VR (where VR is virtual reality) -- using the standard term may help you find existing literature.

Yes, they are called "head trackers" and are commercially available. (Depending on what sort of diploma you're going for, you should be aware that a fishtank VR system is nothing new.)
Best, - Joe
,------------------------------------------------------------------. | Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: | | snipped-for-privacy@strout.net http://www.macwebdir.com | `------------------------------------------------------------------'
cosminb wrote:

Head and eyeball tracking has been around for quite a while. I went to an imaging trade show in Boston around 1990 where they had a demo set up. As I remember, it had a camera looking forward from the top of the head and another head mounted camera looking at one of the operators eyeballs. In their demo, they had a TV monitor in the booth and a video camera looking out at the walkway in the show. The operator sat in a chair in front of the monitor and the monitor displayed the video image from the camera with a cross hair overlaying where the tracker thought the operator was looking. It worked pretty well, or well enough to embarrass several women as they looked at the monitor on the way by and saw a crosshair on their image, in the locations that you might expect.
Bob

At the UPenn GRASP lab, they have a head tracker where you just put on a pair of glasses that have a 1" white dot glued on the side. Some kind of camera (I think infrared) tracks the dot and calculates its orientation. Makes for a cheap headset, thats for sure.
--
mehaase(at)gmail(dot)com
cosminb wrote:

look for magnetic 3D positioning, there are systems that can detect all 6 degrees of freedom
Stef Mientki