Stereo lithography

Our company just bought the assets of another company that closed after losing a major lawsuit.
One of the assets is a Dimension SST 1200 stereo lithography machine. It
had several demo programs including a salt shaker with a removable cap that was threaded to the bottom and, of course, the always popular working 6" adjustable wrench made as one piece.
The machine works from .STL files created from 3-D CAD files. I'm looking for other STL files to try, or alternately, someone who could create an STL file from a Autocad wireframe file. Our old version of Autocad (2000) seems to have the STL output function, but I don't know enough about it yet to make it work.
Any out there working with this type of file?
David
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 07:36:26 -0500, the renowned "David R. Birch"

Yup, use them all the time.
I use Solidworks to create a 3D model of the part and then export it as STL for prototyping (in plastic or metal)
Here is one source of Solidworks models: http://www.3dcontentcentral.com
You don't normally work directly with STL files- they're just kind of a "print" file that trashes all the parametric modelling in the original format.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I haven't looked into this for 10years or so, but I don't think you can create an STL file from a true wireframe. A wireframe actually has no data in it that would allow the point-to-point translation involved in an STL file. Each wire is sort of independent; it doesn't "see" the space between the wires, so it doesn't allow surfacing from the wireframe file. At least, that's how I remember it.
I created many STL files from Rhino and from Ashlar Vellum, but they were 3D NURBS models to begin with. Whether the wireframes in AutoCad are true wireframes, or rather wireframe representations of surfaces, I don't know. If AutoCad 2000 has an STL output function, I would surmise that is the case.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:01:22 -0400, the renowned "Ed Huntress"

I think Acad2000 was pretty early in their 3D development, and I remember the 3D modelling being pretty primitive compared to Solidworks, SolidEdge etc. But anyway, it did claim to have wire frame, surface and solid modelling capabilities.
Unfortunately for them (and their shareholders), AutoDesk really missed the boat on the move to 3D parametric modelling.

Apparently you can use a plug-in with Google Sketchup to make STL files. Not sure if this works with the free version.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 07:36:26 -0500, "David R. Birch"

McMaster supplies native Solidworks files for many of their hardware items: fasteners, pipe fittings, springs, bearings, etc. If you find something interesting on their site that has the CAD download available, post the part number and I'll convert it for you.
--
Ned Simmons