Private Company Locomotives ?

With the break up of BR we are now used to seeing private liveried loco's and rolling stock on our railways. Not so many years ago a number of companies had their own locomotives used mostly in private shunting yards or factories. These were of various designs and locomotive power, the National Coal Board not surprisingly used coal but others like steel works used battery-electric some had petrol or diesel engines but one that was of interest to me was one I saw standing in the sheds @ Ruddington.

It was in the blue of 'Boots the chemists' and basically had a reservoir of steam in the place of the boiler which had to be 'recharged' each morning prior to work.

I know Hornby and other manufacturers produce rolling stock associated with various companies / products like Polo mints ( there's one on Ebay with a bid of over =A315 ?), BP Oil, Texaco, Bestwood iron works, Norstand Limited Fish Docks ( one of my son's favourites ) or Coca Cola ..... but what about loco's ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Some also had limited running rights on limited parts of the British Railways network - most notably NCB locos in parts of the North East of England.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Correction !

The Boots loco was at Butterley not Ruddington !

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Well Hornby have produced a number of their 0-4-0 locos in a variety of fictitious and real private owner liveries over the years such as Colman's, Huntley & Palmers and Ford. I don't think any British RTR 'fireless' locos have been produced, but Hattons sell a model of a continental one on their website.

Oh and I presume this is what you saw at Ruddington.

Bagnall Fireless 0-4-0F, 2473 "Huntley & Palmers no 1

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Tony