3-axis compasses

Hi - I'm looking for a 3-axis compass for a small custom 6 legged robot I'm working on. It uses 18 micro servos for locomotion and is
approximately 20cm long. Is it still possible to use a compass around this many motors? I've read about people putting compass modules on the top of a mast sticking up a foot or so above their robots - but that is just not an option for me - I really need the compass module to be at the same level as all the main control board. If it is possible to make this work - does anybody have any reccomendations for small 3-axis compass modules? Right now I'm looking at the AKM AK8970N (http://www.akm.com/datasheets/ak8970N.pdf ) - SPI, 3-axis, QFN package. I've seen some others as well, but none have seemed like anything special. The Micromag3 (http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/MicroMag3%20Data%20Sheet.pdf) is probablay my next choice after the AKM chip - but the Micromag module takes up about a square inch... so I'd really like to find something smaller. So - any idea how much the accuracy of these GPS modules or any others would be affected by the motors? Any suggestions for other modules? (I can't seem to find many within my budget of about $100 or so) Any advice? I can live without a compass - but it would be pretty nice to have. Thanks in advance,
M. Noone