Setting up a 3-axis gantry CNC table--

I'm attempting to set up a 3-axis CNC gantry table, controlled by a Linux PC. I have the software taken care of (EMC2), but need to know
the best parts for this kind of set up. It needs to be cheap, and work well with Linux. I have the step motors, and I have the linear actuators for all three axes. I need to get the motor control, and I need to know what a suitable controller/signal generator. Also, I think the actuators may have differing gear ratios. Thanks in advance.