Paper cutting plotter?

Greetings, Sorry if this is not the right place for this question, but it seems as though it's close, anyway.

I'm looking for a plotter to cut paper. Basically the same thing as a vinyl cutting plotter, but that cuts various types of paper, preferably up to .012" (.3mm).

I found this thing:

It runs about $300, only goes up to 6" wide and doesn't have a PC interface. The price isn't as much an issue as is the size and the inability to interface with a PC.

I'd appreciate any insignt into this.

Regards, Dave

Reply to
gweedoh

I cut paper with our CO2 laser all the time. Quite a bit more expensive than the cricut tho and might not be feasable if your not looking to do large quantities.For small runs or prototype stuff check with a local laser shop or drop me an email perhaps I could run a sample to see if it works with your material, never have cut .012" thick paper before.. Our Universal laser has a 12" x 24" table.

George

Reply to
George

My wife does scrapbooking and we saw the Cricut in one of the craft stores here. I've seen low end 24" vinyl cutters for about $600. Initially I thought it would just be a matter of setting the knife to cut deeper, but then realized cutting .004"-.012" paper fibers on one of these would probably be pretty different from .002" vinyl.

The .012" would be nice, but I think .010" or even .008" would be workable. A 24" cutting bed would also be nice, but again, 18" or 12" will work.

I'd like to find a solution for under $1,000. How much are the entry level CO2 lasers?

Reply to
gweedoh

This is the least expensive that I've seen. 10 Watts isn't much power.

The VL 200 10 watt 16" x 12" is $ 7,600.00

Will

Reply to
Will

Reply to
tomfhansen

That one is not much of an upgrade from the Cricut, but in looking at their other products, I found this:

It's exactly what I was looking for and even under $1,000.

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
gweedoh

She-who-must-be-obeyed (also a scrapbooker, as it happens) has this to say on the joys of Craft-Robo...

Cricut does get used for scrapbooking, and is cheaper than the Craft-Robo, but the Craft-Robo can be used from a PC. It can take A4 paper or card. You can google for Craft-Robo and get their website, or go to these forums on UKS which give you the good and the bad:

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete Wilcox