A3968 motor driver equivalent

I'm looking to build the motor driver controller from December's Servo magazine. The featured Allegro A3968 Dual Full-Bridge PWM Motor
Driver with Brake chip isn't easy to find...Digi-Key only has it in SOIC and I'm not set to do SMD yet. Is there a common replacement for this chip?
Mike
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Allegro themselves are pretty good about listing drop-in replacements for its chips, if any. Then you can use findchips.com to see if the common outfits carry it. Or, ask Allegro for a sample.
-- Gordon