Accurate Current Measurement

Hey all,

Looking for a way to accurately measure low level current running over a power line on my robot (current somewhere between 0.05A and 0.5A). I do not need it to measure higher values. Current I am using a toroid ring style system but I feel that is more suited to larger current applications (1 -

15A) rather than mine. Any ideas?

TIA

Fr33

Reply to
fr335tyl3r

A small value resistor -- like 0.1 to 1.0 ohm -- can be inserted in line with the incoming power. Measure across the resistor for a voltage...Ohm's Law will tell you the current. Of course, you will need an ADC or comparator input on your controller, but I assume you already have that for the torroid you're presently using.

The resistor should ideally not be wire-wound, and it should be a wattage suitable for the voltage * current drawn through the circuit. A

5 or 10 watt resistor ought to be more than enough for a 5 volt system, at half an amp max.

-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases (Forthcoming) Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza

fr335tyl3r

Reply to
Gordon McComb

I normally use a current probe at work, but the resistor I was provided for using the measurment technique Gordon describes is labeled:

Isabellenhutte A-H1-R100-0.1 R04

Hope this helps.

- James B

Reply to