What is it? Set 546

This week's set has been posted:

Larger images:

Below are three more items that were sent in but didn't make it to the web site for one reason or another, anyone know what they are?

  1. The owners description: "Inside the tube is some stuff to make a fire, cordeless or horsehair, it smells like gas lighter, text on it says 'QUICK d.r.o.m.', It is the same thing as what is in a Zippo lighter."

  2. The person who sent it would like to find out if this has a purpose and what the figures represent:

Rob H.

This week's set has been posted:

Larger images:

3188 elevator lift controller 3189 Fence Hammer 3190 Lineman's cable knife or cleaver

3191 Filler Gauge

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

3181 looks like a cranberry basket to me.

3188 seems to be a telegraph/annunciator of some sort, to show in a different room (below or above the sender's) the position of the pointer at the sender's end. COULD be for an elevator, but it doesn't feel right for that.

3189 Classic home-bodged Fencing Tool

3190 Lineman's cable-cutter (They LOVED using this tool, because after using it, they got three days under an umbrella splicing all the pairs they cut!

3191 pipe sizing gauge

3192 telescoping hole gauge (like we wouldn't know what THAT was, here!)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

3191 is a machinists radius gauge set similar to this one:

$_57.JPG

Reply to
jim

3181, farmers back scratcher. Or, maybe wooden match holder, or maybe a weeding tool. Was this supposed to be number 3187? 3188, not sure. 3189, specialized hammer. Which speciality, I do not know. 3190, Workplace violence tool for phone workers who go bell. 3191, rod gages, for some thing. Maybe refrigeration, to tell tubing sizes? 3192, no clue.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

SM: This is, or very close to a cylinder removal tool. It's used to snap the key cylinder out of Kwikset brand knob locks. I've seen these tools advertised, but I've never owned one. I use the cheapie Kwikset version which is stamped out of flat metal. And costs well under a dollar, last I looked.

Pro version, $29.95, and only 8 left!

SM: I totally don't recognize this.

SM: You got me, I don't know. My first thought is these are ashtrays.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

3181 Hand Harvester for small gardens 3182 Elevator floor chooser. 3190 Phone system wire cleave for stripping heavy cable 3191 Go No Go tool for dowels or steel rod. 3192 Inside feeler gauge. Used to get the size of a cylinder. Then you take a micrometer and mic it.
Reply to
woodchucker

3188 looks like elevator lift controller

3191 gauge for measuring outside diameter or checking for roundness.

3192 Bore gauge - telescoping feeler gauge
Baxter

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

This answer is correct though this particular set of gauges was meant for measuring a specific item.

Good description of it!

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks, I just changed the number to 3187.

Reply to
Rob H.

Not sure if this is correct or not but I'll your suggestion on to the owner of it. Thanks

It does look like an ashtray but I couldn't find any others with metal rods across the top of them. Someone else suggested it was for holding water for use on stamps.

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob H. :

3188 - flow regulator dial. For opening/closing something like a chimney damper, or controlling the flow of water, etc.
Reply to
Baxter

Someone suggested that this is a hand warmer, I think this is probably correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

Hey, I got it right! but still don't know the item use. Sigh. And I was all excited.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm about 99.5% sure about my identification. In the next day or two, I might find one such in a locksmith catalog.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I reread the email that the owner sent and found this:

"I bought this tool a few years ago at a garage sale, and the seller didn't have any idea what it was. (She was selling things that had belonged to her grandfather, as I recall, and there were a number of locksmithing tools, among other things.)"

So it looks like you nailed it.

Thanks

Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

3187) I think that this is for digging shellfish in the zone between high tide and low tide. 3188) Looks sort of like an engine-room telegraph for commanding speed from the bridge down to where the men are operating the engine.

But it *could* be another elevator control leer.

3189) Does not look like it was made that way from the manufacturer.

Rather a square to drive wrench sockets has been added to a hammer -- so someone (perhaps an elevator repairman) will have to carry fewer tools.

3190) For chopping a multi-conductor cable to approximate length prior to striping the jacket and connecting the wires to their proper termination.

Might even be for the lead jacketed cable which came before the plastic jacketed cables.

3191) A radius gauge -- both concave and convex radia. (The rounded end or the scooped side.)

I see that this one is in fractional inch sizes, but rather larger than my sets.

3192) A machinist's telescoping hole gauge. Press the two ends of the 'T' together, and gently tighten the knob on the end, then stick it into a bore to be gauged, loosen the knob to let the ends snap out into contact with the walls, very slightly tighten the knob to provide a slip fit and rock the gauge in the hole until the ends just barely pass through the hole, and then tighten it more. Withdraw it, and measure the length across the ends with a micrometer and you know the bore fairly accurately. (It take developing some feel to get good readings with this tool.

Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, and others have made these -- in sets to cover a range of from perhaps 1/2" up to perhaps 4" or so.

Now to post my suggestions and see what others have suggested.

More comments below, but ... :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Only a guess -- in part from the machinst's scale below it, and the nicely knurled knob at the right. I think that it is a tool intended to deburr the far side of a hole. You squeeze the tips together to fit through the hole, push it through, and when the tips spring open on the far side, pull it back slightly and rotate to clean off the burrs from the original drilling.

Presumably a survivalist's fire starter.

No clue -- other than that it looks perhaps Asian in style.

Maybe for burning incense?

I actually prefer the supplemental questions to be separate from the puzzle ones.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

"Here" is somewhat variable. Remember, these are cross-posted to:

rec.puzzles rec.crafts.metalworking rec.woodworking

and only in the second of those does the "here" fit with a group who would recognize that tool.

*This* is why I always specify which newgroup I am posting from, to sort of get an idea how the answers match with the newsgroups. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols