Asimo questions

I was wondering if anyone on this group might have some inside information about Honda's Asimo.
I mean like what's under the skin rather than secret information. Though
knowing Honda, it might amount to the same thing.
On the week-end I attended one of the "Say Hello to Asimo" demos at the Science Center in Toronto.
The presentation was very slick, but a rather short on technical explanations and no questions were allowed.
I got the distinct impression that there's a guy with a joystick in the back controlling a lot of the movements.
Later, I checked out the web site. There is some stuff there about facial recognition and speech, but mostly, there are lots of cute demos and little hard information.
http://world.honda.com/ASIMO/ if you're interested.
And BTW, what IS in that backpack? :-)
Thanks, DOC
No info, but, did they say where the next exhibition will be? Vancouver? If so when?
Tom
DOC ( snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca) wrote: : I was wondering if anyone on this group might have some inside information : about Honda's Asimo.
: I mean like what's under the skin rather than secret information. Though : knowing Honda, it might amount to the same thing.
: On the week-end I attended one of the "Say Hello to Asimo" demos at the : Science Center in Toronto.
: The presentation was very slick, but a rather short on technical : explanations and no questions were allowed.
: I got the distinct impression that there's a guy with a joystick in the back : controlling a lot of the movements.
: Later, I checked out the web site. There is some stuff there about facial : recognition and speech, but mostly, there are lots of cute demos : and little hard information.
: http://world.honda.com/ASIMO/ if you're interested.
: And BTW, what IS in that backpack? :-)
: Thanks, : DOC
I was lucky enough to see it at RoboCup2002 in Fukuoka, Japan. I had my robot setup in a room next to them, but they kept a curtain acroos the doorway so people couldn't look in. I talked briefly to the guy in charge and asked to have a look inside but he smiled and said he wasn't allowed to show anyone.
From what I can tell, the backpack holds all the batteries and a fair amount of electronics. I don't think there is anyone controlling it, as they spent around three days of trial and error getting the robot to walk out on stage, do a 90 degree turn, walk forward and then do it's dance.
While the walking and balancing was very impressive, the fact that the entire demonstration was hard-coded was a little dissapointing.
cheers damo
On 14 Oct 2003 10:33:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca (Thomas D. Ireland) wrote:

There's a tour schedule here: http://asimo.honda.com/asimo_on_tour.asp
BTW, are you THE Dave Ireland? :-)
DOC

hi doc!!!

it has a: -) windriver real time operating system -) local control system for joints (also called reaction\reactive control) -) supervising and coordination control that is the intelligent or behaviour control