Asimo questions

I was wondering if anyone on this group might have some inside information about Honda's Asimo.

I mean like what's under the skin rather than secret information. Though knowing Honda, it might amount to the same thing.

On the week-end I attended one of the "Say Hello to Asimo" demos at the Science Center in Toronto.

The presentation was very slick, but a rather short on technical explanations and no questions were allowed.

I got the distinct impression that there's a guy with a joystick in the back controlling a lot of the movements.

Later, I checked out the web site. There is some stuff there about facial recognition and speech, but mostly, there are lots of cute demos and little hard information.

if you're interested.

And BTW, what IS in that backpack? :-)

Thanks, DOC

Reply to
DOC

No info, but, did they say where the next exhibition will be? Vancouver? If so when?

Tom

DOC ( snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca) wrote: : I was wondering if anyone on this group might have some inside information : about Honda's Asimo.

:

--

Reply to
Thomas D. Ireland

I was lucky enough to see it at RoboCup2002 in Fukuoka, Japan. I had my robot setup in a room next to them, but they kept a curtain acroos the doorway so people couldn't look in. I talked briefly to the guy in charge and asked to have a look inside but he smiled and said he wasn't allowed to show anyone.

From what I can tell, the backpack holds all the batteries and a fair amount of electronics. I don't think there is anyone controlling it, as they spent around three days of trial and error getting the robot to walk out on stage, do a 90 degree turn, walk forward and then do it's dance.

While the walking and balancing was very impressive, the fact that the entire demonstration was hard-coded was a little dissapointing.

cheers damo

Reply to
damo

hi doc!!!

it has a:

-) windriver real time operating system

-) local control system for joints (also called reaction\reactive control)

-) supervising and coordination control that is the intelligent or behaviour control

Reply to
Brix Fabrizio

There's a tour schedule here:

BTW, are you THE Dave Ireland? :-)