Collision avoidance

Hi, I know this is a boring question but I made some search without find good answer : can anybody link me a paper about "State of art on Collision Avoidance"
please. I think the Borenstei "Where I am?" is a great start point but, what else ??
Thanks,
Ric
use google:
collision avoidance = navigation "occupancy grids" "robot navigation"
I made the search but the field seems to be immense, I just need to know if there other ways to "avoid collision" beyond using laser, sonars or contact sensors !!
...I'll try to refine the search.
Thank You,
Ric