Cutting shafts

Hi,
Quick question:
I have a 1/2" steel shaft (AISI 1117 steel) that I neet to cut to a certain length, but I don't know if the tools I have are appropriate for that.
The tools I have 1) jigsaw with steel cutting blade 2) Miter saw, currently with a wood blade. Don't know if home depot or lowes' sell a steel blade for the miter saw? 3) dremmel
Are any one of these appropriate?
Cheers
Padu
I use a mitre saw with an abrasive cutoff wheel (which they certainly do sell at home depot) for cutting steel. (I don't know what kind of steel -- but an abrasive cutter is probably more capable than a saw, right?) It's basically the same as a metal chop saw except:
1. Chop saws are usually more powerful 2. It might have plastic sawdust removal cowlings that the metal filings will melt (learned that one the hard way) 3. You might get metal filings in all parts of the saw (and everything else in proximity, for that matter) and it might be hard to clean -- especially the turret. I wouldn't use a *nice* mitre saw for this purpose. I bought the cheapest one on hand at the time. 4. The user manual explicitly tells you not to use it on ferrous metal -- but real men don't read that anyway.
The jigsaw will produce an uneven cut and the dremmel will take forever and a hundred blades. If you're working with metal a lot you might invest in a 5" angle grinder, which, with a cutoff disc, will also work.
chris
Padu wrote:

Hacksaw -clamp rod in vise, Proceed until arm gets tired, then switch hands.Fortunately and thank god I have a metal cutting bandsaw........
But really, hacksaw will work quickly.
Mark Padu wrote:

certain
Abrasive wheel on your saw as suggested. Or metal cutting saber saw blade and running at slow speed with coolant to keep the blade from overheating and going dull. Or bring it down to the shop and we'll use the bandsaw.
Wayne
"Wayne Lundberg"

Thanks Wayne,
I thought about that, but I figured that since I have the miter saw, I could use it for steel too. You guys just confirmed my expectations.
Cheers
Padu
Padu wrote:

I will second Marks suggesstion of the Hacksaw. With a good quality blade, they will do a decent job on stuff like this. To me, they rank as an essential hand tool.
Good Luck, Bob
1117 is a mild free-machining steel. No problem there. Clamp in vise. Saw with hacksaw, using oil. Use Dremel tool with flat end grinding wheel to smooth end if desired.
                John Nagle
Padu wrote:

"John Nagle"

Too late... got an abrasive chop saw blade and installed on my miter saw. It worked, but I couldn't get a straight cut though. But that's non important now, as it is just a provisional prototype I'm making.
Next time I'll use the hacksaw.
Thanks!
Padu