Do Mark Miller's "androids" really walk?

Mark Miller has a neat article in the latest Servo about his experiments with bipedal robots, which he builds from scratch. There are a lot of design tidbits and insights -- some of them quite surprising, such as the fact that he generally uses $3 stepper motors.

But while the article seems to imply that his robots can walk, he doesn't actually come right out and say so, or discuss anything of the algorithms they would be using to do so. No contact information or web address was given, and Googling has turned up some news stories, but nothing with much detail.

Does anybody know anything about these robots? Do they actually walk or not, and how in the world could a 4-foot robot walk on $3 motors?

Thanks,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

Walking robots are easy, provided that they only have to walk on a flat surface, move slowly, and have big feet. Wind-up toys can do that. He does nice looking mechanical construction, though.

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle

To be fair, I haven't yet seen a wind-up toy that does that without overlapping foot polygons.

Best,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

My Androids do indeed walk-Mostly on flat level surfaces. I am going a bit taller right now, almost 5'3 inches. I do in fact use cheap, readily available stepper motors. Finding the right motor and gear combination makes all the difference. I am writing an arm construction article right now describing just such motors/gears all for a few dollars each, which produces an arm that can lift a few lbs for about

50$. The real challenge for me(building androids) was actually making the joint system!

Mark

Reply to
castvee8

Cool. Do you have a web site so we can learn more ? Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
pogo

That's really cool. Do you have a web site, or any videos up?

I'm really looking forward to your arm article. (In fact, if you want anybody to proofread it, I'd be happy to help.)

I'm just starting on a larger humanoid robot project -- though I'm focussing on the upper torso for now, and not worrying about legs yet. I'm still debating what to use for a frame, given a serious shortage of time. I'm actually thinking about using Erector set parts, and just trying to make sure they're covered enough not to look cheesy. :) I might also consider Vex, though that'd mean investing in yet another construction system, and my wife thinks I have too many already...

Best,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

No, I dont have a website-You can however e-mail me for any info.

Mark

Reply to
castvee8

How *well* do they walk ? Do they just slide their feet forward ? Is it supported only by the two feet or is there a stand to stabilize it ?

Personally, I would like to see a follow-up to this article showing *how* they walk. From the article, it *appears* that all you have done is duplicate the joints and the general exterior shape of human legs. A side view of the legs shown in Figure 2 showing the gears and mechanical linkages would be an improvement - thus giving us a better idea of how you did it.

I'm just saying that if you could demonstrate more on how to get an android like yours walking it would be a stronger inspiration.

I look forward to the article on the arm!

Just giving my 1.2 cents. JCD

Reply to
pogo

Hopefully, I will get to all that and more in future articles. I certainly didnt go to all that trouble to slide the feet along!

Reply to
castvee8

COOL! That's what I had hoped to hear ! Very much looking forward to it ! Thanks and have a great weekend - JCD

Reply to
pogo

Looking for any info and or video on these walking androids. Looks like all of Mark's (castvee8) online content has disappeared. I've found a few crummy photos but no high quality ones or video shiny them in action. If anyone has info, PLEASE contact me!

Reply to
Taerzik