Embarrassingly, an off-topic rant

I hadn't really given this any thought prior to your post, Chuck, but now you've got my curiosity piqued. Which SUV's weigh more than 6,000 lbs?

My impression is that there is plenty of gas. The only thing that's changed since Bush took office is that the price has increased 50% or more.

That I had noticed.

Concrete, yes. Soaring oil prices? That's another ...er, benefit of having an oilman in the white house.

I like my Camry because it's small and cheap on gas, but I'd like to have a Hummer anyway. The wife wants a school bus. :^)

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

For the next few years there will be "plenty" of gas. After that it gets scary:

Some interesting statements by the real "oilman in the white house" be can be found here:

Lewis Gardner

That should have read: "There's your jetsons". The word "you're" is a contraction of the two words "you are". That is the same sort of sloppy thinking that makes you (and people like you) reject the nearly free power that breeder reactors could have been supplying the U.S. by now.

Modern and futuristic architecture used to be considered pretty. But that was before reality TV and Entertainment Tonight and MTV. Back when we had Jack Paar instead of Letterman.

Reply to
Midlife Crisis

For us in the U.S. anyway, there is no need to worry about a sharp transision. It will just mean the elimination of any restrictions on drilling; there will be many offshore platforms off the coasts where before they were banned. BFD.

And also, they will eventually find the only right way to boost production from Iraq.

Lewis Gardner wrote:

Reply to
Midlife Crisis

It won't be sharp but oil is a finite resource and it will get to be MUCH more expensive.

DREAM ON.

Obviously you live in a fantasy...

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

| It turns out every big SUV and pickup is too heavy for my street. | Here's just a sampling: The Chevy Suburban and Tahoe, the Range Rover, | the GMC Yukon, the Toyota Land Cruiser and Sequoia, the | Lincoln Navigator, the Mercedes M Class, the Porsche Cayenne S, | and the Dodge Ram 1500 pickup (with optional Hemi). | What about the Hummer, you ask? Hasta la vista, baby!

google finds me an audio version, for the lazy of reading:

and google again:

Yes, the oil barrons have gotten the white house. But at the same time, China and India have emerged into highly industrialized states. In the gas shortages of the 70s, the chinese were not all striving to each have their own cars. Repeat this around the world. Oh, and large sources of oil HAVE dried up. Shell(?) took a hit when they admitted that field's they'd been pumping for years were less productive that previously.

And she can. Esp if she hauls around 50 kids.

I ride a motorcycle on a 60 mile per day commute and I'm regularly appalled at the number of 16MPG HUGE trucks and cars with 1 person in it (usually on a cell phone too. And sitting in the leftmost lane with people trying to get around them. We must teach people to be EMBARRASSED that people are passing them on the right. "oh my, I didn't realize. My mistake. I'll get right over.")

Reply to
Chuck Yerkes

I agree completely. Why would anyone want to utilize free and plentiful sun light when we can make large, high-maintenance nuclear plants whose fuels require expensive mining and refinement. Not only do they produce cheap nuclear waste that won't dissipate for thousands of years, but you won't need night lights because everyone will glow in the dark! Plus, where would we get our super-heroes without nuclear radiation? If everyone was using solar panels, New York City would have been destroyed by Doctor Octopus! When will someone smack some sense into these sloppy-thinking, mis-spelling liberal wimps!?

Reply to
Chris S.

I'm afraid you're fairly thoroughly underinformed and have thus missed the point entirely.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

After my then three year old overflowed the toilet for the millionth time, I wondered why a floor drain was not required by code.

Reply to
Mike McGinn

My post was mainly satirical (hoped I wouldn't have to explain that). However, the parent was actually serious about his drivel. Modern nuclear technology can be extremely clean but it can't hold a candle to

100% clean solar, wind, and geothermal energy sources, which the parent seems to think should just be ignored in the face of expensive, complex, and volatile breeder reactors. There's a reason why breeders aren't the standard in nuclear technology, and it isn't just due to fears over Plutonium proliferation.
Reply to
Chris S.

I guess there's just no winning this game. 90% of the population has been mesmerized by the retardation rays coming out of the TV for 40 years; 9% of the poulation has succumbed to witchcraft/nature-worship and hatred of anything that requires thought and self-discipline.

"Chris S." wrote:

Reply to
Midlife Crisis

I guess there's just no winning this game. 90% of the population has been mesmerized by the retardation rays coming out of the TV for 40 years; 9% of the population has succumbed to witchcraft/nature-worship and hatred of anything that requires thought and self-discipline.

"Chris S." wrote:

Reply to
Midlife Crisis