"Eneloop" batteries vs. other NiMH ?

Any comments on the new "Eneloop" batteries by Sanyo ? I saw some in Costco today, but noticed the sales blurbage only talked
about Eneloop vs. alkaline cells, not other NiMH batteries ?
Any opinions based on experience/knowledge ?
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:06:00 -0400, "pogo"

I have a set, but I have barely used them yet, so I can't comment on how well they actually work.
The point with them is their very slow self-discharge rate. This comes at the expense of a somewhat lower capacity, compared to other NiMH batteries.
I have put mine in my digital camera, which may spend weeks or months without use, before it suddenly has to be ready to go.
--
RoRo

pogo wrote:

Eneloop IS NiMH, so the comparison is fairly moot.
What differentiates these cells is that they have additional engineering properties of low self-discharge, so they are able to reliably ship them already charged.
My guess is that Sanyo saw an opportunity to enhance rechargeable sales by offering a battery already charged, and therefore something for impulse buying and use. Like next Christmas when Johnny gets a new toy robot. I have to say that's about the only reason I keep alkalines around. I often don't have the time to wait for batteries to charge/recharge.
-- Gordon

Hmmmm - so we're just basically paying for having them delivered pre-charged ? Unless they charge faster than other NiMH --- now *that* is a feature I would pay extra for ... jcd
pogo wrote:

I didn't notice that they cost all that much more. In any case, the pre-charge is just a by-product of a battery that keeps its charge for longer. If you're paying anything extra at all, it's for that. It's handy not to have to keep topping off your rechargeable batteries.
-- Gordon

I have to admit that I haven't done any price comparison at all. I just assumed they cost more because of the ad campaign. My bad!