"Eneloop" batteries vs. other NiMH ?

Any comments on the new "Eneloop" batteries by Sanyo ? I saw some in Costco today, but noticed the sales blurbage only talked about Eneloop vs. alkaline cells, not other NiMH batteries ?

Any opinions based on experience/knowledge ?

Reply to
pogo

today, but noticed the sales blurbage only talked

I have a set, but I have barely used them yet, so I can't comment on how well they actually work.

The point with them is their very slow self-discharge rate. This comes at the expense of a somewhat lower capacity, compared to other NiMH batteries.

I have put mine in my digital camera, which may spend weeks or months without use, before it suddenly has to be ready to go.

Reply to
Robert Roland

today, but noticed the sales blurbage only talked

Eneloop IS NiMH, so the comparison is fairly moot.

What differentiates these cells is that they have additional engineering properties of low self-discharge, so they are able to reliably ship them already charged.

My guess is that Sanyo saw an opportunity to enhance rechargeable sales by offering a battery already charged, and therefore something for impulse buying and use. Like next Christmas when Johnny gets a new toy robot. I have to say that's about the only reason I keep alkalines around. I often don't have the time to wait for batteries to charge/recharge.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

today, but noticed the sales blurbage only talked

Hmmmm - so we're just basically paying for having them delivered pre-charged ? Unless they charge faster than other NiMH --- now

*that* is a feature I would pay extra for ... jcd
Reply to
pogo

Unless they charge faster than other NiMH --- now

I didn't notice that they cost all that much more. In any case, the pre-charge is just a by-product of a battery that keeps its charge for longer. If you're paying anything extra at all, it's for that. It's handy not to have to keep topping off your rechargeable batteries.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

? Unless they charge faster than other NiMH ---

I have to admit that I haven't done any price comparison at all. I just assumed they cost more because of the ad campaign. My bad!

Reply to
pogo