Giant Robots the solution to our problems?

It's dawned on me that there are certain problems human beings face right now that are beyond our current ability to handle properly. The
wildfires in California are one example. I'm not sure how long it will be, but in the future one can imagine a more robotic solution to the problem. (Other solutions include letting people have access to their own fire hydrants and not have to rely only on professional firefighters, and many more water reservoirs in storage in these areas prone to fires).
Tornadoes also seem like an example where one day in the future, some kind of gigantic robot may be able to do something to hinder their effects. I am only daydreaming and imagining, but it seems that if people can build skyscrapers, and harness algae for all kinds of fuel sources (http://www.algaefuelmaking.com ), the two skills could be put together so do some pretty wild stuff. How big would a robotic plane- like device have to be to disarm a tornado by counteracting it in some way?
About the algae references, if you watch enough YouTube videos on algae fuels, you can see that the fuel/energy problems are already solved, they just need to be implemented. Huge robots could actually automate the making of this kind of fuel, as well as support "themselves" from it.
-- Robert Pearson ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net Creative Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Music http://www.rspearson.com /

It's not that they are beyond our power to control. It's just that they are not economically feasible. They are not practical. If we wanted to stop all the fires in California we could do it. You just pipe in some water from the other side of the country and install a sprinkler system to water all the plants every morning. End of fires. Solving these problems are not an issue of technology. They are resource allocation problems. It's always a question of what solution is the cheapest. Is it better to spend 100 billion to water all the dry areas of California, or is it better to spend 100 million to train and staff a team of fire fighters to deal with the fires when they start, or is it better to spend 500 billion to develop and deploy giant autonomous fire fighting robots? It's not a question of what we can do, it's a question of what is the most efficient solution to the problem. Robots are not currently anywhere near the most efficient solution to that problem (though it sure would be a fun project if they were).
--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com /
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 04:28:13 -0700 (PDT), RS

Toke time at ParaMind Brainstorming Software. ;)