Have shop. Bored. Looking for something to make.

I'm sitting here with a full blown prototyping shop, CAD software, half a
dozen computers/robots in the shop, and no projects. Money is not the issue,
but my time should be put to use for the benefit of mankind in one form or
other.
I've been in this newsgroup long enough for most participants to know me and
vouch for me as the kind of person who is more interested in helping new
inventors than in making a buck.
If you want to see my shop, ask. I'll send you a PowerPoint shortie and we
can go from there.
Wayne

Wayne Lundberg
Given the name of Wayne's Web site, I'd say south-central Mexico!
I think he's mentioned he's from Chula Vista. That's a town just south of San Diego.
-- Gordon
Reply to
Gordon McComb
I'm sandwiched between Tijuana and Chula Vista.
Wayne Take a look at

Wayne Lundberg
Very astute Gordon! Puebla is halfway between Mexico City and Veracruz. I should change the website name... one of these days!
Reply to
Wayne Lundberg
Wayne:
I've always thought that a hobbyist grade gripper could sense how tightly it is gripping something would be an interesting project. The concept here would be to have some sort of force sensor in the gripper so that the robot could command the gripper to close with 1 lbf (lbf=pounds force) for picking up an empty soda can and 4 lbf for picking up a full soda can.
For force feedback I was think of using a spring. By Hooke's law the spring force is linearly proportional to the distance from spring rest. I figure a linear potentiometer could measure the distance from rest.
If you can work out the mechanics, I'm sure there is are a whole bunch of people who can work out the electronics. I suspect that the electronics from a servo could be place into service, since a servo is basically a potentiometer and an H-bridge driving a motor.
Anyhow, I'll leave you with the thought to see if it catches your fancy.
Later,
-Wayne (Gramlich)
Reply to
Wayne C. Gramlich
Maybe the electronics are simpler, just measure the current drawn by the motors running the gripper? Then there is the issue of slippage.
-- JC
Reply to
JGCASEY
My son gave me a LockJaw the other day. It has the mechanical portion of what you suggest. It's a very clever way of using a small mechanical force to affect tons of pressure on the gripper. Kind of like a mechanical transistor. I keep it on my desk because it is so fascinating to play with and experiment with all the possible variations.
in Crystal Lake, Il.
Reply to
Wayne Lundberg
Gordon's Big Gripper has a lockjaw shape, but probably not the million-pound force locking bit.
The servo gripper has been around for a while, but the jaws only open to 1" width - minimally useful.
I imagine both basic designs could be adapted with force-feedback.
- dan michaels
=====================
Reply to
dan michaels
Hi. I'm building a gear cutter to replace the one I built some time ago.
's the parts I've made for it.
have the software to do gears, sprockets, washers, etc. Anyone who is into robotics needs one. I was thinking of selling them on ebay. If you are interested maybe we can work something out Larry
Reply to
Larry Snyder
Hi there Wayne, I need some PVC, Delrin and acrylic machined for a underwater (ROV) robot. Email me that PP file, please and if you like I can email you some drawings of what I have in mind. Thanks in advance, bill black sebastian, fl
Wayne Lundberg wrote:
Reply to
Geeks2Go1
Larry, have you posted this in rec.crafts.metalworking ?
Reply to
Wayne Lundberg
Hi Wayne. No. I posted something in alt.machines.cnc to trade. Had no takers. Something I forgot to mention is that I can supply any gear under 5 in. that may be required. What I want a larger one for is to build some crop picking robots. It will require some stuff about 24" diameter. Larry
Reply to
Larry Snyder