Help with IR GP2D15 sensor.

I am using a SHARP Infrared proximity detector GP2D15 which gives a digital output. Reading the PDF I thought, if I give Vcc (5V) and
connect the ground I should get the output on the third pin. Unfortunately, I m not getting any output even when the sensor seems to be so easy to use. Is there something that I am missing out on? Does'nt the sensor give a HI (Vcc-0.3 V) output when there is any object within 24 cm of the sensor?
Any information on this will be of great help. Thank you,
Priti
It has an open collector output. Attach a 10k resistor to the output pin, and connect the other side to the + voltage driving the sensor. Read the output on the output pin, it should function correctly.

Thanks a lot, the 10K resistor did solve me purpose. I really appreciate the information.