Home made EAP

OK, even Scientific American has now gone and put electroactive polymers (EAP) on the cover. They say a lot of common plastics exhibit good
characteristics and they make it sound easy. Has someone figured out how to make a nice, home made, linear actuator out of easy to obtain EAP materials? If not, any thoughts on where to start?
Tim
    I'm studyin' up quick. Haven't pinned down a direct application but my first few experiments have been promising. I'm using graphite in a paste for my electrodes in place of the "compliant electrodes" mentioned in the SciAm article.     The few projects I could find through the search engines all look cool,     especially the bot with flapping EAP wings.     The best place to start is the 1-5kV power supply. I think. I've got a 6k     transformer and a diode to make my dc voltage (very dangerous!) but would like to see someone brilliant come up with something lower power, preferably solid state driven off a smaller battery. There's a challenge for someone who thinks they're a genius. Lots of hubris if you publish the diagram. I seem to remember a battery powered solid-state tesla coil project which could probably be adapted to produce a 5kV pulse.     My prediction: EAP is going to become very prominent in the next few years.