How To Get To A Docking Station Ideas?

Hi all, I'm looking to build a docking station for my robot to roll up to when it needs to charge it's batteries.
Simply my question is: what it the most reliable way for the bot to
recoginise the docking station so it can line up with it and get the charging.
Would be grateful for any sites/resouces you can recommend.
I think some kind of IR beacon might be the best bet, but note sure what kind.
Many Thanks
Mark

have the light flash, the frequency would tell the bot it's going at the right thing, switch frequencies based on response from bot if you want to make it more complicated but less likely to mess up.

If you want to use vision as input, have some sort of visual market (black square on white background). Check out ARToolkit (Augmented Reality Toolkit) markers. They provide a fast and easy way to get markers.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I can imagine all sorts of complicated seeking of the charger and hooking itself up but without more details on your robots sensory and/or navigation system . . .
If the robot can move through various designated areas, maybe even wall following, a charger might simply be two spring wires that contact the top, side or bottom of the machine as it rolls by causing it to stop for a recharge if it needs it?
You could just have the one transformer with these whisker like contacts placed at various appropriate points the robot will pass.
John