how to charge sealed 12 vdc gel-cel / lead-acid batteries ?

What's the best or favorite solution for charging 12vdc sealed gel-cel / lead-acid batteries. The kind that are about 2" x 3" x 6" .
I would like something that I can use on different voltage batteries if I end up using them. Say 9vdc, 12 vdc, to 24 vdc. Thanks !
Pogo wrote:

You really want a good charger -- the batteries will last a lot longer. I use the Battery Tender line (http://www.batterytender.com ). These don't do seperate voltages, though. Not cheap, but it'll pay for itself pretty quickly.
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:48:38 -0500, "Pogo"

I use a lot of gel cell batteries, mostly 6V but some 12V & even some 2V. While an expensive charger is needed for some battery technologies, SLA is not one of those. One of the main reasons that I stick with SLA technology for my applications is that it is easy to charge & very forgiving of abuse.
I use the smallest, cheapest 6V/12V motorcycle battery chargers that I could find at my local auto parts store, at a cost of about US$15 each. I often charge several batteries at once, wired in series, parallel, or some combination so as to get a convenient voltage that matches the charger. My chargers deliver 1A, so I leave my batteries on the charger 1 hour for every AH for which the total collection on the charger is rated.
I always charge only IDENTICAL batteries together, never mixing brands or even models of the same brand. The result has been many years of reliable use at minimal cost.
JM
Thanks for the input guys !