use a NiCad charger to see if SLA will at least charge to 12 vdc ?

I've got a couple of SLA batteries I rescued from a UPS unit.
Logo on the side says " BB Battery BP7-12 (12V, 7AH/20HR) .
I also have a NiCad wallwart charger from Radio Shack, that indicates an output of 12vdc. Doesn't look like it has any overcharge protection, etc.
My question is, can I use the NiCad charger to see if these SLA will at least charge to 12 vdc ? Any reason not to ?
The reason I tore open the old UPS was because it wasn't kicking on during a power outage, so I don't know if it was the electronics inside or the batteries.