LEGO mindstroms and FPGA

A few days ago I bought a LEGO mindstorms set (getting infantil in my old days...). After building the first robot, I want to substitue the RCX by
an FPGA. Has anyone done this so far?
Martin ---------------------------------------------- JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs: http://www.jopdesign.com /
http://www.charmedlabs.com/productsmain.htm

I have added a section about the LEGO motor driver on the website (http://www.jopdesign.com/lego/index.jsp ).
You can find mesurements of the PWM output from the original LEGO RCX, a simple schemantic with an L283D driver and sigma-delta ADCs for back-EMF measurements.
Martin ---------------------------------------------- JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs: http://www.jopdesign.com /