Computer graphics in catalogs

Am I the only who has noted that most (if not all) the pictures in catalogs and box art nowadays are computer graphics rather than
photographs of actual models? I can see it has some advantages, as it's easier to get a perfectly sharp picture, and that it might be necessary to get not-yet-in-production models in the catalog. But I still think it's questionable, as it's too easy to hide unsightly details (like poor-fitting non-ABS chinese parts), and also is abused to give impression that the model has features it doesn't have. One typical example is robot/mecha models, which often are posed in positions the joints doesn't actually permit. A worse example is the new 4939 (yellow cars) set, on the box art you get a clear impression the car has steering, which I don't think it has (haven't bought the set yet).
Another example is the 7781 Batmobile set - both in the instructions and the box art the canopy has been moved half a stud forward from its actual position, so it intersects the studs on the mounting brackets. Just a minor mistake, but it shows that the box art is made from the same 3D models as the instructions. Some of the pics on the box and instructions are real photographs though, as those who shows the afterburner.
What's your opinion on computer pics, and have you ever been seriously disappointed with a set cause of misleading box art? I believe 8458 Silver Champion is a notorious example (didn't have it myself), the box shows what seems to be a special-purpose driver's helmet part that wasn't in the set (and only a *tiny* disclaimer that said so).
Axel
I bought the 4939 set a few days ago, and can confirm that it doesn't have steering (even if the CGI box art makes it look so). But apart from that it is a nice little set, kinda like a minifig-scale Model Team car. And yes, it is possible to cram one minifig inside, even if he got his butt at the wheel.
One odd detail is the windshield, a smoke-colored 3x6x1 classic space type. In the catalog and on the box it has the carateristic vertical lines on the sides, like this: ____________ |o|________|0| | | | | |_|________|_|
While the actual part included looks like this: ____________ |o__________0| |_ _| |_|________|_|
While I have no problem with this itself (it gives a clearer window and more interior space), it is a different part than shown on the box. This set is bought in Oslo and is marked "Components made in DENMARK, and GERMANY" (the pure, undiluted stuff!). Has anyone else here bought this set, and can tell what part they got?
I also tried to file the usual report to www.acnielsen.aim.dk/lego, but they would not accept the set number 4939 (they didn't mention the site in the instructions). Does this mean that Lego intend to stop taking these suveys?
Axel
Axel Eng wrote:

I made the same - rather disappointing - discovery yesterday.
I consider it extremely bad style (and probably illegal here in Denmark).

Ahh! I just made my driver lie down across the two seats.

I got the same part as you. And the same box graphics.
I think I'll give our friends in Billund a call tomorrow.
Play well,
Jacob
--
City X'ers mail van (building instructions):
http://lego.jacob-sparre.dk/CityXers/Postbil /