looking for cheap lidar/radarr (short range)

hi,
i am looking for a short range lidar or radar sensor for use in the Eurobot competition next year [www.eurobot.org], and the challenge lies in identifying
the precise position of several ping pong balls at a distance less than 4m.
so, if you know of any cheap lidar/radar solution that can achieve the same feat, please share your experience here.
other suggestions are welsome too!!
thanks, gautam
Hi
Gautam J. Jain wrote:

I'm not sure using a radar to detect ping-pong balls is a winning idea ^_^ For el'cheapo Lidar, what about some Sharp telemeters, up to 3 meters in range.

A little 'Hi' to the Eurobot official forum, to intoduce you and your team ...
as stated above, ping pong balls have a rather small radar cross section.
i don't think sharp products are a very good option either, though. i have used them before and for something as small as a ping pong ball, you would be pushing the resolution of parallax type rangefinders to discriminate between the ground and the target.
in my opinion, you should consider machine vision options. the hardware is much cheaper than laser scanner options; it just requires a nice usb or firewire camera and some clever programming.
chris