LPT to DC

Hello,

I'm working on a small simple project of finding the simplest way to get a native computer parallel (LPT) to control a series of small electric motors.

The electric motors are 9V ones and I am thinking of being able to select the direction in which they spin. My power source (a simple generic AC/DC adapter) has short circuit protection, so no worries in this aspect.

I have already written the Linux software required to apply voltage to a LPT pin of choice, but the electronics area is a bit troubling to me. I can't seem to be able to get my hands on the right kind of transistor... the amplifier ones have high resistance due to the low current from the LPT port, while the other type can't handle the current required to drive a 9V DC motor. I have considered using relays but I have no idea where to find them, not to mention I have no idea if the current from the LPT port will be sufficient to trigger them.

Can somebody help me with this please?

If possible I would like suggestions in hardware I can scavenge from other components or whatever is cheaper than say 75$ altogether.

Thanks a lot in advance. :)

Reply to
Jure Sah

Si Ballenger

Jure I attempted a project very similar to this one a couple months ago. please remember, I am a novice at electronics as well, but I got a lot of advice from this newsgroup, so ill pass on some info.A user by the name of Chris helped me quite a bit and he suggested using a smaller transistor to switch on the power transistor (power MOSFET) like this:

| VCC | + | | | .-. | 470 | | | 1/2 W | | | '-' | | To MOSFET | o----->

| | Gate |PRN ___ |/ | o-|___|-o-|2N3904 | 2.2K | |>

| .-. | | 10K| | | | | | === | '-' GND | | | === | GND | (created by AACircuit v1.28.5 beta 02/06/05

I used an IRF510 power mosfet to drive my motor. They are rated at 2 amps. With this circuit you can use one pin from the parallel port to "pulse the motor". That is, control the speed by varying the on/off ratio of the pulse. As far as controling the direction, im no help. Good luck, Lucas.

Reply to
lmcgill