Medical robotics

Hello everybody, I'm a master student of medical imaging. I've lately discovered the charming of robotics thanks to a class of AIBO programming.
I've almost finished my exams and I'm looking for a subject to focalize for my internship/research period. Do you have any idea how to combine medical imaging with robotics? Of course my branch is vision (so robotic vision), but I don't have any clue except for laparoscopy (googling I've found the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System). Any clue is welcome, websites, research institutes, companies, personal experiences, whatever... at least to have an idea!
thanks a lot, Mauro
mauro schrieb:

a) the group of Cinquin and Troccaz in Grenoble, France b) Chair of Medical Engineering, Aachen, Germany c) Robodoc, group around Russ Taylor, http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~rht / d) http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/medical / e) http://www.lirmm.fr/UEE05 /
many many more
Where are you from? Perhaps I can tell you more helpful addresses ...
regards Pierre
Thanks a lot for your post! Now I have a more clear idea, thanks mainly to the link:

a lot of learning material over there!!!

I'm italian and I study in The Netherlands, but I'm allowed to do my internship/research period everywhere. I prefere Europe because for me it is more easy to move (being a european citizen), but if I find something interesting in another continent, it is great as well!

Please!!! Any address/link/suggestion is strongly appreciated, even in a private way (my email is snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com)!
By the way, your help was great: I'm still learning from the link you posted!
cheers, Mauro