Microcontroller question - ATMEGA128-16AI

I am new to robotics and am getting ready to build my first robot, yay. I have the opportunity to purchase several of the ATMEGA128-16AI in the 64-pin TQFP package. This seems like a versatile chip, but I do not want to be stuck with a ton of chips I will not use going forward.

My questions are as follows:

1) What would be a reasonable per chip price? 2) What other equipment am I going to need to invest in to use them? 3) Would a pre-made board like the "MAVRIC-IIB - Bare PCB" from BDMicro be the way to go?

Thanks, Tim

(I am sure I will have more questions once I actually buy something)

Reply to
TimParis

Goto Digikey.com and enter ATMEGA128-16AI in the parts search box.

I don't know, what do you want to do ??

YES !!

Your welcome.

Reply to
hamilton

The Digikey price for these chips is about $15.00 each.

Personally, I kind of like the ATMega 32 because it's available in a 40 pin DIP package. The TQFP packages are a little difficult to use if you don't make your own boards and even then they can be a bit of a pain to solder. But, if you buy a pre-made board like the MAVRIC-IIB, you should be O.K.

You should have an ISP programmer cable. BD Micro has a couple different ones to choose from.

A good site to get information on AVR stuff is at:

You can make an ISP cable pretty easily; you'll find info at the AVR freaks site or you can buy them.

Of course, you should get ahold of AVR-GCC which is available at avr freaks. It's an excellent compiler. There are also some IDE's available that are nice (see avr freaks).

I think it's a pretty good looking board. I've never used it but it always seemed like a nice board.

Good luck, Ed L

Reply to
Ed LeBouthillier

Thanks for the replies.

I will probably pass on my purchase opportunity... not enough of a savings to justify getting 90 of them, and the difficutly soldering kind of nixes the idea of using them to kick-start a robotics group in my area. I think I will still get one of the MAVRIC boards and use it for my project(s).

I am not 100% positive the direction I am going to go for my first project... I have been slowly collecting pieces and parts for years now, and I have resolved that this is the year I stop gathering and start building. I have two sets of 12v dc motors with gear assemblies usable for a 2 wheeled base. I built legs for a hexapod walker that using small motors and threaded rods. And lastly, I have plans for making an autonomous robot with snake-like locomotion.

Again, thanks for the help.

Tim

Reply to
TimParis

Soldering the TQFP64 is not that hard, once you get the hang of it. The key is to use small diameter solder - 0.015" or so works well, and a small soldering tip. What I've found works best with these is position the chip over the pads, apply a little flux, and tack down a couple of pins on adjacent sides by heating with the iron. With the chip now held in place, apply flux all around the chip, solder each pin with a small soldering tip iron. The process goes very quick, and the flux keeps bridges from forming. With a little practice, one can solder the whole chip in just a few minutes.

Oh, my eyes are not the greatest so I use a magnifying visor which helps also :-)

If you were planning a group purchase, let me know. I can give a quantity discount on bare boards if that's the way you want to go. Also, if you think soldering the TQFP64 is going to be a problem, we can work out something - I don't mind mounting the chip for you, depending on how many you are looking for.

Sounds like some fun projects in store ...

-Brian

Reply to
Brian Dean

Hi

I just ordered a kit using the AVR Butterfly ( ATMEGA169 ). It includes a

300 page book on programming in C, compiler, IDE, assembler, a Butterfly and bits and pieces.

The Butterfly has an LCD, temperature sensor, light sensor, speaker, RS232, and HEAPS of program storage ( 4Mbit - YES 4 Mbit ) it is only USD $19.99 from Digi-Key, or is included in this kit.

Kit, book, Butterfly, etc. can be bought online from

Maybe this will be somewhere to start.

Cheers

Dale

Reply to