Muscle Wire

I was wondering if anyone uses muscle wire in there applications. It seemed like a good idea but I have heard very little about it.

Ray
BRD wrote:

Depends on the application. There are several books that describe its use in robotics. For example, look for the Stiquito books. The books describe the construction of a small walking robot. It's also discussed in general terms in both of my "Bonanza" books...this stuff has been around for a while. I started playing with it in 1985.
The issues with "muscle wire" (that's a tradename by Mondo-Tronics; the material is generically known as shape memory alloy) are: termination and recycle time. If you can work out these issues for your specific application it might be a useful material for you.
-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases (Forthcoming) Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza