Object Detection (maybe using CMUcam?)

I have recently been looking at the CMUcam to the following: Look at an object and (1)get the objects ruff width and length parameters (2)Look at the object for color patterns (or even just look for a color or 2 on the object)

Does anyone have experience with doing either of those 2 with the bs2/handyboard/pic/etc?

Or just any experience with video inputs like from the CMUcam (well.. cmucam doesn't really give you a video input per say, but you know what i mean ;)

any info would be awesome! thanks-Lee

Reply to
trend

Hey, Im currently using an CMUCAM for tracking a ball, its an CMUCAM1 and i am pretty sure that it can only really track one color at a time, the CMUCAM2 might be worth looking at, also might be worth looking at the cmucam manual, the cmucam site is at

Later

Reply to
Mike

I was thinking about going with the CMUcam2 just for the color resolution, but i think the CMUcam1 has all the functionality "building blocks" I need.

Anyone else with experience in this matter?

thanks-Lee

Reply to
trend

How limited is the application that you intend to use? Range is going to be an issue for you - say an object is 20 by 20 pixels large - is it a small object close to the camera, or a larger one further away? Similarly, when looking for colours on objects, there is always a lot of noise - I had a similar problem with random noise causing problems.

Not sure how much control you have with CMUCams - I wrote my own software using a standard PC eventually. Best advice is to work in HLS colourspace and not RGB - took me a while to work that out on my own! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Dibb

Forgot to mention that was just using a standard CCD camera hooked up to PC, and NOT cmucam thing.

Reply to
Matt Dibb

The object will be from .7 inches to 1.5inches wide, and 1.9 to 3.6 inches long (depth differs.. but i guess that doesn't matter :) )

Do you think i could get some code samples from your program? or was it more of a business project?

thanks-Lee

Reply to
trend