Object Detection (maybe using CMUcam?)

I have recently been looking at the CMUcam to the following: Look at an object and (1)get the objects ruff width and length parameters
(2)Look at the object for color patterns (or even just look for a color or 2 on the object)
Does anyone have experience with doing either of those 2 with the bs2/handyboard/pic/etc?
Or just any experience with video inputs like from the CMUcam (well.. cmucam doesn't really give you a video input per say, but you know what i mean ;)
any info would be awesome! thanks-Lee
Hey, Im currently using an CMUCAM for tracking a ball, its an CMUCAM1 and i am pretty sure that it can only really track one color at a time, the CMUCAM2 might be worth looking at, also might be worth looking at the cmucam manual, the cmucam site is at http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~cmucam/
Later

I was thinking about going with the CMUcam2 just for the color resolution, but i think the CMUcam1 has all the functionality "building blocks" I need.
Anyone else with experience in this matter?
thanks-Lee
trend wrote:

How limited is the application that you intend to use? Range is going to be an issue for you - say an object is 20 by 20 pixels large - is it a small object close to the camera, or a larger one further away? Similarly, when looking for colours on objects, there is always a lot of noise - I had a similar problem with random noise causing problems.
Not sure how much control you have with CMUCams - I wrote my own software using a standard PC eventually. Best advice is to work in HLS colourspace and not RGB - took me a while to work that out on my own! :-)
Matt
Matt Dibb wrote:

Forgot to mention that was just using a standard CCD camera hooked up to PC, and NOT cmucam thing.
The object will be from .7 inches to 1.5inches wide, and 1.9 to 3.6 inches long (depth differs.. but i guess that doesn't matter :) )
Do you think i could get some code samples from your program? or was it more of a business project?
thanks-Lee

resolution,
need.