Mars Exploration Rovers Update - May 6, 2004

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html
SPIRIT UPDATE: 'Columbia Hills' on the Horizon - sol 118-120, May 06, 2004
Spirit is now approximately 1.7 kilometers (1 mile) away from the base of the "Columbia Hills" after three long sols of driving. Its odometer currently reads 1,566 meters (.97 miles) and counting.
Sol 118 was a record-breaking driving sol for Spirit. The Gusev Crater rover moved 92.4 meters (303 feet) across the surface in one sol, breaking its previous record of around 90 meters (295 feet). The Opportunity rover still has Spirit beat with a one-sol driving record of 140 meters (459.3 feet).
Sol 119 proved to be a more difficult sol for Spirit. An uplink configuration error prevented the sequence load from successfully getting on board the rover. Rover controllers took advantage of the down day by deleting afternoon communication sessions and enabling the rover to charge its battery during a long afternoon nap.
It was back to business as usual on sol 120. Before embarking on its drive, Spirit imaged a rock called "Tulula" with the panoramic camera. The rover then successfully executed a blind drive before using the autonomous navigation system to continue into uncharted territory. After reaching the time-of-day driving limit, Spirit turned and performed penultimate (next to last stop) imaging. The next move would have taken the rover 85 centimeters (33.5 inches) to its ultimate stopping point, but did not execute because Spirit was facing a small sand ridge that was perceived as a hazard. Without a penultimate/ultimate image pair, rover controllers could not be sure that the area underneath the rover was clear of hazards for instrument arm deployment. As a result, Sol 121 will be another driving sol that controllers hope will place Spirit in a suitable location to use the instruments on its instrument deployment device.
OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: An Eyeful at 'Endurance' - sol 98-99, May 06, 2004
Opportunity continues to gaze at the incredible "Endurance Crater" from its vantage point on the western rim. Remote sensing, including gathering of imagery of two potential traverse targets just inside the northern edge and southwestern edge of the crater, will continue on the rover's 100th sol.

<snip>
Hey Ron- can you get them to take a few pictures of the Spirit blueberries as well? I want to compare them to the Opportunity ones. The panoramic images are okay but color would be nice too. Some microscopic images would be even better.
http://www.xenotechresearch.com
Cheers!
Chip Shults

I don't think they take requests. Nice try, though.
George wrote:

Not to mention that there aren't a hematite spherules at the Spirit site. But of course that an easy leap for someone who imagines trilobite fossils in every rock...
--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

Hehehe.

The
Well, Greg, perhaps you should look at this: http://www.xenotechresearch.com/marsf.htm Spirit has spherules of the exact same size and color. The close up shots show the same sorts of details. But I wouldn't want to rock the boat.
Cheers!
Chip Shults
Sir Charles W. Shults III wrote:

No sir, it does not any more than those "angel" stains in the soil reported by that other nut were real flying angels. Irrational nuts like you don't come close to even making the boat sway a tiny little bit.
Your delusions don't count for anything.
*PLONK*
--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer
Then I guess you don't want to see the trilobite. http://www.xenotechresearch.com/marsx.htm Oh well.
Cheers!
Sir Charles W. Shults III

I think you see what you want to see.
George wrote:

How true. Kind of reminds me of the old joke about the guy taking an ink blot test from a psychiatrist For every image, he saw something related to sex. The doctor said It's obvious that you are obsessed with sex. The man replied, Me? But Doc, you're the one showing me the dirty pictures.
Jerry
"Jerry Petrey @raytheon.com>" <"jdpetrey<NOSPAM> wrote in message

blot
Ya know I was thinking that most people I have talked to seem to want to wait till NASA says the *word* well why do we have to wait for NASA to say the *word* and what makes them such experts? I mean I was sitting here reading all this stuff and the thought accurd that we are like little lambs heading off to god knows where with people that we don't trust but is a GOD of some sorts to many here on this planet............I was also thinking that even though they were the first to the moon doesn't make them more knowledgeable the we are.........why do we give up that part of the brain that says ok NASA whatever you say? but when someone FINDS something that isn't NASA approved then everyone will go and fight NASA's battles..go figure..........I think allot of people out here or there have giving up there rights to free thoughts until SOMEONE tells them its ok to believe that.. I am glad once again to have a free thought.........
...and CHEERS to you SIR CHARLES on your Discovery.............keep the faith ..........many are behind you all the way.

Well, actually, they are the experts.

Have you ever been to the moon? No? I rest my case.

It has nothing to with whether it is "NASA approved" or not. There are many of us here who are experts in various fields of geology. But none of us are expert in all fields. That is why NASA and JPL put together teams of the brightest minds from all relevant fields for these projects. They are not without their critics. Who is? If they are wrong, they will be proven wrong. If you can prove them wrong, you are free to do so. But you had better have relevant data to back up your claims. Having said that, there are two chances of Chuckie Cheese ever proving them wrong about anything: slim and none.

He hasn't discovered anything. He's a lonely troll.

ink
"It's
Doc,
say
lambs
GOD
that
many of

expert
brightest
their
can
data
Chuckie
few men have and they weren't experts either...and some ppl can have a great deal of knowledge in all fields. but of course your not one of them. I wonder where the space program would be if it weren't for the little man anyways. ya know the ones without a degree ? the ones that found so many of the stars and planets ..and other galaxies..........not to many experts did that .............now did they ?
lonely troll ? seems to me that your one of them.....

Actually, they were all experts. At least one of them, like Harrison Schmitt, were geologists trained in Lunar geology.

You have no idea.

Not very far. But that has nothing to do with this discussion, does it?

Well, thank God for janitors. Right?

an
thinking
more
battles..go
up
believe
are
without
you
relevant
the
Schmitt,
man
well of course it does....has alot to do with this conversation.......your belittling Sir Charles Shutls III He has done alot toward science and AI work....but then maybe you haven't read any of his papers that are online. http://www.xenotechresearch.com His benefactor Nelson Ying has done alot of work in Physics and Cold Fusion which seems to be heading into mainstream thought these days from what I read. but I digress.
One would have to believe in just one persons opinion from NASA is that *god like status*? . For me I don't believe alot of the noise NASA says anymore...sort like the boy that cried wolf to many times. NASA seems to have forgotten what it is for. It is for people like me and you that want to know whets out there beyond this planet....so far in the last 30 yrs we have gone to the moon with rovers and then men and to mars with only rovers. and FLEW by the other planets.
I should think we should have already had a station on the moon. and not worry about a orbiter space station ..that could fall back to earth.... but again I digress. With all the images from NASA and not one person from there to say ya know....that looks like a plant life or a animal ...is beyond me ...why cant they just say yeah it is and move on.....its not like the country will vanish. they never seem to know what the left hand is doing or the right hand for that fact. so if no one seems to know what they are doing why should I trust what they have to tell me . I wonder if the school need janitors NASA has plenty of people that are qualified.
you may tear apart anything I have to say which seems to be your way. it doesn't matter. if you want to know more about Nelson Ying and Sir Charles Shutls like I did I went online and found things out for myself . I didn't have to listen to what the *others* say. here is the newest page from his site take a look http://www.xenotechresearch.com/marsw5.htm
On a sunny day (Thu, 13 May 2004 21:38:47 GMT) it happened "Seventh Book"

It is because of politics. NASA has orders NOT to find life it seems. Because if it found life, or even admitted it was looking for life (as opposed to looking for water), that guy who is in charge now and put there by Creationist Religionist GW Bush the lesser will lose his job. And IF NASA was to cry wolf (or life in this case), that Bushman would loose all the ultra right religious voters who believe God created NASA in 5 days (or something like that, can't remember). So go easy on the poor guys, already all engineers left after Apollo, you would not want the rest to leave too. A good upcoming event is the X price, maybe private enterprise will make it to space, and then we can have Martian Mushrooms on our plates (recommended), and go on holiday (tourism is big business) to a moon of Jupiter, take close up pics of Venus for the ones at home, and play tennis on the moon. JP

Jesus H. Christ. When one idiot pops up, an entire symphonic orchestra of idiots join in the fray.
George wrote:

Yeah, It's amazing how many uninformed followers certain kooks can get - remember Jim Jones?
"Jerry Petrey @raytheon.com>" <"jdpetrey<NOSPAM> wrote in message

Who can forget?
"> Yeah, It's amazing how many uninformed followers certain kooks can get - remember

yeah sorta like your little crew here.......all tightly bound with a thought of being better then....oh yeah.....jim jones type for sure........thanks i thought their was something very familiar......you ....