Mars Exploration Rovers Update - May 6, 2004

My mistake. I'll make a note of it, and the fact that you took no issue with the rest of the post. So I assume that you finally got it straightened out in your head that that picture is not of a trilobite on Mars.

Reply to
George

god i had to get rid of all the *other crap* you say *snip*

well georgy i think maybe that trilobite on Mars is a TRILOBITE that is ON MARS. if you think for a sec or if ya can think look at this....for a sec.

Both planets were formed at the same time and from the same materials. It is probably safe to assume that they were very similar even in their atmospheres, but since Mars has such weak gravity, its atmosphere literally "blew away" into space over time. It is known that solar wind (a stream of energetic particles from the Sun) is constantly wearing away the Earth's atmosphere. Also, Mars has a very small core, and its volcanoes stopped erupting long ago. On Earth, we know that volcanoes help to replace atmospheric gases all the time. Mars is unable to do this. here is a link you can look at georgy

are still many organisms that can survive near vacuum, lots of salt, and extremes of temperature. And in the case of Mars, those organisms would have had nearly half a billion years to evolve protective mechanisms that would help them to survive. We could expect that we might still find bacteria, perhaps some simple plants below the soil, and maybe even small arthropods or worms that could take those conditions. And there are also bacteria that live inside rock, digesting petroleum and iron. Also, bacteria can remain trapped in salt crystals for millions of years and still be revived successfully. So samples of Martian brine crystals can easily hold living bacteria that we can release and study. (NASA has been taken what is found in mono lake as a very harsh inviorment for aything to live in and thinks maybe that life could be elsewherethen on earth)

Reply to
Seventh Book

"Seventh Book" wrote in message news:JAqqc.562607$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com...

But not trilobites. They lived in the seas of the earth hundreds of millions of years ago. The fact that they lived in the sea is just one line of evidence in a mountain of evidence that earth had a substantial atmosphere at that time. Most, if not all trilobites lived in warm seas that varied little in temperature over a long period of time. That fact may be an explanation for their eventual demise. If they were warm-water adapted, and it appears that they were, then drastic changes in water temperature would have likely killed then off. They happened to have gone extinct during the Permian "great dying", when most of the earth's organisms were wiped out. Needless to say, whatever you want to ascribe to explain this event, the climatic effects were obviously dramatic, and had a profound effect on the earth's ecosystems, including its oceans.

That is a contentious debate. Geologists found bateria in gypsum deposits in Indiana that they claimed to have revived. Others looked at the data and determined that their de-contamination proecedures where inadequate to prove that the bacteria that they grew did not come from lab contamination. The authors despute this claim. Until it can be recreated by others with satisfactory results, it will remain desputed territory.

The problems with all of this are many. First of all, trilobites don't appear on earth until the earliest Cambrium, after the earth had already existed for about 4 billion years. And they evolved on earth in near "ideal" conditions. And do note that they are now exinct. Whatever conditions that existed at that time to have allowed them to evolve and flourish in the Paleozoic may not exist anymore, or at least went lacking for a long enough time for them to have disappeared altogether. Even if ideal conditions returned at a later time, do note that none have "re-evolved".

Mars, however, likely never had such ideal conditions, or if it had, it didn't have them for a long enough period of time for these complex animals to have evolved. Mars hasn't had a sustainable atmosphere for billions of years. When it went dead, tectonically speaking, the atmosphere lost it ability to be replenished, so that today, the atmosphere at the Martian surface is something like the barometric pressure of the earth's atmosphere at about 20 - 30 miles up. It is unlikely that the atmospheric pressure was high enough to have sustained free flowing water for a long enough period of time to have allowed free-flowing water to pool long enough for creatures as advanced as trilobites to evolve. Hence, it is unlikely that there was ever enough water for a long enough period of time for creatures such as trilobites to have evolved. The fact that it took billions of years under earth conditions for these creatures to evolve says volumes in opposition to your apparent claim that these creatures "co-evolved" on another planet, under much less than ideal conditions, and in a fraction of the time. And I do note that you haven't provided for a mechanism to explain how apparently identical creatures could evolved under such different conditions and in such varying rates of time. The fact that you interpret weathering features on a igneous meteorite found on Mars by a robot explorer as evidence of the existence of trilobites having once existed there only proves the anthropometric view in which you see and interpret the world around you.

Reply to
George
*snip* *clip* *cut* whatever...

the shape of a trilobite in a martian organism does not say anything about its temp needs it only means that it lived in a simular manner.

Reply to
Seventh Book

to quote Herbert Spencer:

" There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is CONTEMPT PRIOR TO INVESTAGATION--

and that is what you have been doing since Sir Charles W. Shutls III posted his website.

Reply to
Seventh Book

You are an obvious kook, and beyond reasoning with in any intelligent fashion.

Reply to
George

So you think a trilobite is something separate from the organism itself, do you?

Reply to
George

And who said anything about its shape in reference to its temperature needs?

I'll add that even if it was a cold water trilobite, if such a thing ever existed, it wouldn't exist on Mars. Are you trying to become the internet kook of the month, or what?

George

ahuh......so whats your excuse georgy ? intel or just stupidity? i think the latter......but then i dont profess to be anything but an observer.....you on the other hand.....display a very bad personality and human behavor.....

Reply to
Seventh Book

You insult me and then expect that I won't respond in kind? Sorry to disappoint you. You really should get out of your fantasy world more often.

Reply to
George

georgy .........enough of you kooks out there now ........don't need me .......LOL

Reply to
Terry Lynn Sadler

Then what is your point, Terence?

Reply to
George

point is that your not willing to even see past your nose.......

there is a priniple which is a bar against all information , which is proof against all argumants and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is CONTEMPT PRIOR to investigation.-- Herbert Spencer

i wouldnt go to say you are ignorant georgy but to think you have the right answers all the time...is saying your smarter then anyone else......and that is wrong.....Sir Charles Shutls has investigated ..... visit his site at

and then go the Q&A page.....

Reply to
Seventh Book

Not all the time, but certainly about this: There are no trilobites on Mars. There are no sponges on Mars. There have never been trilobites on Mars. There have never been sponges on Mars. There is no face on Mars. There has never been a face on Mars. There are no pyramids on Mars. And there are no canalis on Mars. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, although it might take a geologist. I am a geologist. Do you think that your lack of any education or experience in the field of geology or Paleontology qualifies you as an expert in these matters? Why do you post the same lame web link over and over again? Do you think that posting it over and over again will change the result? Do you think that posting it over and over to people who are convinced that you are a loser will gain you respect? Einstein defined that as insanity. It is a waste of time, and a waste of bandwidth.

Reply to
George

You are wrong, sir:

-- Dr.Postman USPS, MBMC, BsD; "Disgruntled, But Unarmed" Member,Board of Directors of afa-b, SKEP-TI-CULT® member #15-51506-253. You can email me at: TuriFake(at)hotmail.com

"Stars are visible in the night sky because of the laser of light they emit." - Nancy Lieder shares an aspect of "advanced" Zeta science

Reply to
DrPostman

On a sunny day (Thu, 20 May 2004 23:37:17 -0400) it happened "George" wrote in :

Oops, and I had just reached the understanding that because of geological activity, in the inner of mars, at periods those areas 'canali' would flood. In fact the last time I read about that the concensus was that it was not that long ago the last time that happend. Thought it was a cute theory, would explain a few things, like observation from earth long time agao. I know you will prove me wrong now ;-) JP

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 21 May 2004 09:50:29 GMT) it happened DrPostman wrote in :

the journey to Alpha Centauri when the mars became inhabitable. Note the small round body and the relatively big head, what an increadible intelligence these nmars beings must have had. Yes I know ;-) JP

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There you go! Proof! Proof that there was an intelligent civilization, with a sense of humour, on Mars.

chris > >

Reply to
chris

And George... I'll ask you the same question I asked once before. When you come across one of those grubby people wandering around downtown muttering to themselves do you stop and argue with them?

Some of these people on usenet are seriously mentally ill. Others are just abnormally irrational. Still others are lonely losers who, being failures in the real world, create a fantasy world where they are the center of attention. In any case it makes little sense to argue with them, and often doing so only encourages them. Next thing you know they'll turn up on the radio...

Of course, I'm not suggesting you abuse them like I do (ah, but I DO enjoy it so). :-)

Reply to
Greg Crinklaw

I'm pretty sure some of them are there already..... :) dick

Reply to
Richard Gibson