OT: Mystery component

What is this mystery component I have discovered during salvaging?
From a Siemens Telephone Keypad;
Glass enscapulated, about 15mm long;
Inside are what look like Reed relay contacts but they are just touching each other and are split down their centres (magnet has no effect). Mounted on circuit board, one each below the ends of the Handset.
Are you sure it is not a reed switch? I have seen those used for hook switches in older phones. The magnets in the handset are usually very strong.
Scott

touching
Possible auto-reset fuse. Usually bi-mettalic strips, where they break under over current and re-connect as they naturally return to normal position.

under
This looks the most promising, there are no value markings so how do I tell what power to use to test these little devices?