PICBasic Pro Clone?

Hi
I am a newbie. Does anyone know of a free/budget Basic compiler that is identical to in syntax and function to PIC Basic Pro? (I don't want to have
to spend over $400 AUD for an IDE and PICBasic Pro compiler).
Or a work-around - like an easy port for a beginner? I want to be able to do the projects in the following books (they both use PICBasic Pro compiler):
PIC Robotics: A Beginner's Guide to Robotics Projects Using the PIC Micro by John Iovine
and
Insectronics : Build Your Own Walking Robot by Karl Williams
snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au
Dale Stewart