PICBASIC vs Proton+?

Hi
Any suggestions on which of these would be best value to start with as a newcomer? I have just bought some books on robotics which use PICBASIC Pro
code. I don't yet have a BASIC compiler. I belive that Proton+ has many more features than PICBASIC Pro.Would it be easy to use Proton+ and port the code? I believe the syntax and functionality are very similar?
Cheers
Dale