help!?!?

hi i just joined this group. how do you program a PICmicro in C or C++ instead of assembly? i dont know a lick of assembly but have lots of expirience with C/++ i have the PICkit 1 flash starter kit (programer and demo board) along with MPLAB and evrything but i cant find a way to compile C and program it to my micro, i have 1 8pin micro and 5 other 14 pin ones. could some one please help me?? also i have had some great intrest in BEAM robotics and have build a few of the simpler devices, but i dont understand bicores and how they work, pinouts, funtions ext. i am trying to build a swarm sweeping system for the shop at my shool (so we dont have to sweep up evry day) i have gone through a long desighn and engineering process, but have no idea how to implement it electronically. help!! Thank you verry mutch to anybody who responds with any information whatsoever. i am a high school student, and i am on the robotics team at our school we praticipate in (you might have haerd about this) FIRST robotics competition, so i do know quite a bit about egineerign and desighn of robots, its just that the electronics is so simple on the robots that there is little to be learned from connecting wires

Reply to
leeweek

I like the mikroelektronika (www.http://www.mikroe.com/) products. Among other things, they offer a C compiler for PIC that is free for programs up to 2K (which is a lot).

Good luck and welcome

Cheers

Padu

Reply to
Padu

You need a C compiler. :)

The FIRST robotics systems use the MPLAB IDE along with the MPLAB C18 C compiler. They normally program the systems in C I believe (if you do any programming at all). I just installed a version yesterday for use with the Radio Shack VEX robotics system which I bought off the ifirobotics.com web site for $50 (C-BOT-COMPILER).

I believe the full IDE and C18 compiler from microchip costs more like $500 but works with their entire chip set instead of being limited to only working with the one(s)? used by First/VEX. I don't know exactly what you would need to buy to add to what you already have, but I assume if you talked to Microchip they could tell you.

I also get the impression that the MPLAB IDE is designed to work with multiple compilers and languages so you probably have multiple options on which compiler you can use.

Reply to
Curt Welch

Have a read of:

should help.

Don...

Reply to
Don McKenzie

Not a PIC issue, but...

Not (yet) for their AVR compiler, unfortunately. It's a newer product, and not yet optimized, but it's quite easy to go over the 2K limit with something like the LCD library and 20 lines of code. This at least on the Basic front, but their C compiler is along similar development timelines, so I assume something similar.

For now, I use the ME AVR board, which is superior to anything else I have, even the STK500, but continue to use Bascom AVR.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Step 1: Purchase, or download in electronic form, the entire published works of Donatien Aldonse Francois, le Marquis de Sade.

Step 2: Read and enjoy.

Step 3: Once you are comfortable with everything in these texts, you are ready for a HLL on a PIC.

To quote from the Wikipedia entry on the Marquis de Sade: "Many of Sade's works contain explicit and often repetitive descriptions of rape and countless sexual perversions, often involving violence and transcending the boundaries of the possible. Sade's libertines founded their philosophy on a purposeful flouting of moral norms and a hatred of religious ethics. In nature, they say, the strong win and the weak lose; therefore all laws and ethics, designed as they are to protect the weak, are seen as unnatural."

This is an approximate description of C or - God! - C++ on a PICmicro. The architecture is inherently unfriendly to HLLs and programming them in C/C++ is highly inefficient. If you are using C as your primary programming language, there are much better choices such as the AVR or MSP430.

For more information read:

Reply to
zwsdotcom

You can also check the Simple Device C Compiler (SDCC) compiler. It comes with two ports, one for the 12-bit PIC cores and one for the

16-bit cores.

Check the website:

You can also subscribe to the SDCC user list:

regards, Vangelis Rokas

Reply to
Vangelis Rokas