Rip-off CCS Robotics Development Kit

Hi
I just spent hundreds of AUD dollars on a robot kit from CCS ( as in CCS C compiler ),and it looks very cheap ( in quality ), am VERY unhappy and
I feel ripped off. I would return it, but I paid over AUD $100 in customs duty to get it here - so I would lose that. After receiving the kit, I discovered that it is only suitable for use on smooth surfaces, so it's no use even on carpet.
I DON'T recommend the CCS Robotics Development Kit unless you have a large budget and just want a controller board that does have some good on-board components and a few example programs.
It is pretty much a lemon as a robotics kit - stay clear of it.
: - [
Cheers
Dale

For cheap controller boards you can't go past www.futurlec.com and www.futurlec.com.au pic , avr , z80 , 8051. Head office in Liverpool in Sydney , warehouse in Thailand.
For base kits I've bought from www.budgetrobotics.com (Gordon McComb) and lynxmotion(direct and via local distributor in Melbourne).
The new lynxmotion aluminium kits look good for those of us who don't have the space or talent for metal work. http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build077.htm
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/hi-res/wlkstk04.jpg
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/hi-res/gundam2.jpg
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/hi-res/eh201.jpg huh???
Hey Gordon when are you going to get more of those canopus tank bases ?
Not what you want to hear but .... For a cheap pic compiler for most pics you can't beat sourceboost /boost c / picant www.picant.com
For 18f pics you have microchips free student edition of their 18f c compiler.
For avr's winavr or avr gcc. www.bdmicros.com (Brian Dean) sells some nice avr boards
For arm chips arm gcc www.sparkfun.com or www.newmicros.com sell some nice boards. sparkfun also sell some nifty little radio boards based on the nordic rf chips + sensors etc
Z80 - I don't know
msp430 - msp430 gcc
8051 I use the 4k demo version of keils compiler - never had anything larger than 4k yet for 8051. Atmels new single cycle 8051's look nice as do the new 2052's and 4052's
Always have to budget shipping and customs costs in. Some times its worth buying through the local distri other times you save cash buying direct even when paying customs and shipping.
www.edtp.com sell some nice boards avr and pic based wireless boards
Alex
Hi Alex
Thanks for the tips.
Alex Gibson wrote:

Where in Melbourne can you get robotics stuff? I have the problem of finding it hard to source materials like aluminium rod, bar and sheet. Also, I would need to buy some tools and set up a workshop in the laundry. Convincing my mother to let me do that is a project in itself.

Yeah, I have that compiler, but because I am new to PICs, I found the support and examples weren't very helpful. So I just got a CCS C compiler, and that's OK, as there is a very good support forum.
:-]
Cheers
Dale

The local Civic Amenity Tip is a good source of raw material; I have a good collection of the above mentioned but am now being outlawed as a hoarder! I simply don`t have time these days to turn it into a Robot (any TIME TIPS would be usefull please). If you work on a micro-scale, the desk-top is an adequate area for everything (no Bull...); look at those mini chopper things. Just pay more Rent (most women circum to this kind of bribary). ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashley Clarke -------------------------------------------------------