Programming a PIC16F876A with GPICD

I've posted this to a couple of places so far, so if you've already read this...
I've just built a motor controller board from schematics on the OAP web
site using the 876A. I then built the GPICD PIC programmer and compiled the software to go with that.
I'm trying to write the firmware to the PIC and am running into trouble.
It seems that I can read from the PIC the configuration data and anything that might be in the PIC's flash, but when I go to write to it, it fails.
This is my first step into the PIC world. I've gotten a similar arrangement working for a 68HC11 MCU, but I realize that this is not quite the same.
Can someone help me with this? I don't have a local club to call on, so I'm on my own.
At least can someone point me in the right direction?
Eljin
Eljin wrote:

I'm not familiar with this programmer, but the 876A has a different internal programming algorithm than the 876, so you need software for the programmer that specifically supports the 'A' part. You should have a menu selection for each part.
dan wrote:

I've chosen the A part in the software. It seems to be looking for the Low voltage programming scheme. I try to set it for the high voltage scheme, but it won't accept the change.
Eljin wrote:

Well then, this sounds like a programmer software issue. My EPIC programmer from melabs handles 'A' and non-'A' parts, plus LVP and HVP. You can try LVP with your programmer. Use 5v instead of 13v, and pull pin RB3 [IIRC] low during programming.
- dan michaels www.oricomtech.com =====================

We use winpicprog www.winpicprog.co.uk for a subject I tutor(and support) at uni.
Nigels tutorials are also pretty good as well.
The kitsrus.com k149 / k150 and other usb programmers are pretty good as well. Their new k185 looks to be pretty good as well(not released yet) http://www.kitsrus.com / http://www.kitsrus.com/upuc.html http://www.beam.to/diyforum support forum here
I have and use a kit 150, has worked flawlessly since I got it.
The programmers are sold by Dontronics.com http://www.dontronics.com/diyk150.html
There are linux and macosx drivers( note I haven't tried these yet).
What ever programmer you use or get , make sure to use a zif socket. Saves a lot of hassles.
Alex