FCAW with AC?

So I'm looking at those dirt cheap harbor freight flux core welders to use as a cold wire feeder, and I see that they don't seem to have any
rectifier in them. Are they using AC for FCAW?
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

No.
Actually they ARE using AC on at least one model, if you can believe their schematics. This was discussed here a while back.
If you compare the schematics for items 94056 and 98871 you'll notice that they're nearly identical except that 98871 has a single winding on the secondary of the main transformer and no diodes so it's AC at the gun while 94056 has a center tapped secondary and two diodes.
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

What's that Lassie? You say that Keith Marshall fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 19 Oct 2009 01:55:45 -0400:

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I couldn't believe it.
looks like one has a cooling fan, variable feed control, and AC current, and the other has no fan, diodes for DC current, and fixed wire feed.
Two varieties of crap.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.