proportional speed dc motor control

I bought a remote (with cord) pan/tilt for my video camera but it only has one speed and can only go one way at once (either pan or tilt but
not both at once).
It uses little 12V motors that draw maybe 1 amp each. Is there a simple joystick control that I can purchase that will drive both motors proportionally? It doesn't have to be wireless.
I don't want to make a circuit board or anything- just need an off the shelf arrangement. Thanks.
Joe

Since you said simple (but not inexpensive), my suggestion goes to one of the Roboteq (www.roboteq.com) controllers. With most of their controllers, you can control dc motors using either an analog joystick, or a regular R/C radio receiver or serial commands.
I'm about to receive my AX3500, it costs $395 but it can control 2 DC motors up to 48VDC and 60A per channel. Additionally, it can generate up to 8 PWM outputs for R/C servos. They do have other controllers that are cheaper and offer less features, but I don't know anything about them.
Cheers
Padu
Wow, I probably should have put in "cheap" too. I was thinking something like a small speed control for a RC unit but with direct control (no RC) and with reverse. There's got to be some small little units out there since there's lots for RC and they are more complicated (and theoretically should be more expensive).
Joe
Would something like this work?
http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid $8&catid=5
Anybody have any experience with this particular one? How about others they would recommend (in this price range or cheaper)?
Thanks.
Joe
joe_d snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It may work however your stall current for your motors may be as high as six or seven amps depending on type, size, etc. It should be easy(ish) to rig that board up to a few power MOSFET transistors - but after you've done that you may as well have bought a cheaper board anyway without any output drivers. You could also try auto-reseting breakers. They cut after they reach the threshold amperes and either reset when the current is turned off or reset when the current falls a substantial amount below the threshold (around an amp or so depending). They are usually wired up in series with the motor. They are pretty cheap - around 5 each (around $8).
--
/-----------( Brendan Gillatt )----------\
<---( http://www.brendangillatt.co.uk )---->
Does anyone know where to get a new but cheap (and small) joystick that uses a ribbon cable (not USB)? I can't seem to find one of the older ones.
Thanks.
Joe
joe_d snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Do you mean the 15-pin PC joystick? (The ones that plugged into the game port?) I can usually find those at thrift stores. Not new, of course, but some I've gotten were virtually unused.
Otherwise, eBay is probably your best bet. Like this listing from a computer store:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemX64306262&categoryt944
-- Gordon
Well, if it MUST be proportional, I can't help. But if you just need to control both motors at the same time, run down to the nearest auto junk yard and find a joystick type remote control for an outside mirror. It is already set for 12v and cheap. You might also find them new if you just research which one you want from which model car.
Luck, RedCrow