Purchasing components for radio controller

I've been working on the desing of my land speed RC car project, and I am having difficulty finding components for the RC transmitter.
The parts I am talking about are the simple analog sticks (2 way), and some sliding pots like those used for as a trim. I could just use a standard pot with a knob on it for the trim, but I feel the sliders give me quicker visual feedback as to where they are at. I could just take apart an old transmitter, but I wanted to use new parts if available.
What I plan on doing is having a single sliding pot that will control the throttle. I have heard of a cruise control feature for the throttle. Haven't used it before, but it sounds nice. The idea is that I can slowly give it throttle as the car accelerates without having to always hold a stick in the right position. Also, a steering stick that only needs to move left and right, and another stick that will control the brakes. Then I will have the misc. switches for my panic buttons, parachute, and ignition kill.
Anyone have a source where I can buy some of these things, particularly the standard RC sticks (with pots), and slide trimmers?
Thanks.
Terry wrote:

Look on Ebay. I got a pair of sticks for $10 US each from a place called DEW-sales. That was a year and some ago. Grand Wing Servo or GWS is who made the ones I got.
Good Luck, Bob

Couldn't find anything like that on the GWS website. I also looked on ebay for sticks but didn't have much luck. I'll keep looking though. I can always resort to some cheap controllers for parts.
Thanks.

Try Digikey or Mouser.
JM
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:49:55 -0000, Terry

You might want to check below for joystick pots and sliders.
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2979-Input-Devices.aspx
On Jun 23, 10:42 am, shb*NO* snipped-for-privacy@comporium.net (Si Ballenger) wrote:

Thanks for the link. Thats what I am kind of looking for, but more like a traditional remote control stick like the ones you find on 2 and 4 channel controllers. Digikey did have the same ones that trossenrobotics has, they are made by CTS. The slider switches looked pretty nice.
Futaba, Hitec and all those controller manufacturers must purchase those parts from somewhere. If I could find their source, then I could get exactly what I am looking for. Maybe it will be cheaper and easier just to buy a couple super generic controllers and take them apart.
Thanks again.
Terry wrote:

I'd go for a steering wheel. Trying to drive with a joystick just doesn't work very well.
We used a MoMo game steering wheel and pedals to drive the Overbot manually. Driving a real vehicle with a joystick was just too touchy.
                    John Nagle
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:22:45 -0000, Terry

If they need to be compatable with your transmiter, then you probably need to open up the transmitter and measure the total resistance across the joystick pot in the transmitter. You need this type of info to do much looking for a replacement. If it is something like 10k, then you could get a 10k linear pot at radio shack and put a stearing wheel on it instead of a knob.

For what it's worth, the May and June 2007 issues of Servo Magazine has a 2-part article on building an "Ultimate Remote Control" using parts from Vex Transmitters that can be found very cheap these days. You might want to check it out. Here's a link: http://www.servomagazine.com/preview.php?issue=48
Good luck ! JCD
message

2-part article on building an "Ultimate Remote Control" using parts from Vex Transmitters that can be found very cheap these days. You might want to check it out. Here's a link:http://www.servomagazine.com/preview.php?issueH

I'll have to check out that article. Thanks.
I am going back and forth between a steering wheel and joystick. The thing is, I will be going straight most of the time, and using the joystick/steering wheel to make small adjustments just to keep the car going straight. The only benefit I can thing of by using a joystick is that I can use only my thumb to steer, and have my other finger available for a switch or something else.
Making a steering servo would be easy with a standard pot, and some lever with springs for self centering.
I recentlty tried a helicopter remote control and really liked the throttle stick that had no spring, and would stay right where you left it. That's kind of what I am looking for.
I'v gathering a few remote controls and am geting ready to take them apart and see what I can do with them.
Thanks.
Terry wrote:

It works better if the wheel has some inertia or drag. Full force feedback would be nice, but is not essential.
We used the through-hole pots that are used as steering position sensors on cars.
                John Nagle